Mercedes unveil 2025 F1 car ahead of pre-season testing
LONDON: Mercedes on Monday unveiled their 2025 F1 car ahead of this week´s pre-season testing in Bahrain as they adjust to life without Lewis Hamilton.
The British-based team digitally launched the W16 days after unveiling its livery at Formula One´s glitzy season launch in London. It marks the beginning of a new era for Mercedes following Hamilton´s departure to Ferrari, with rookie Kimi Antonelli stepping up to replace the seven-time world champion as teammate to George Russell.
Valtteri Bottas will act as a reserve driver after previously racing for the team between 2017 and 2021. Mercedes, who won eight consecutive constructors´ titles from 2014, won four races in 2024, two each for Russell and Hamilton, the team´s first victories since 2022.
But the car was inconsistent and Mercedes finished fourth in the constructors´ championship behind McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull. “It is going to be a highly competitive season,” said team principle Toto Wolff. “We saw last year just how close the field was. “You couldn´t say race-to-race who would be at the front, and I expect this year to be even closer. We will have to be at our very best if we want to challenge for championships this season.”
He added: “George has proven that he is one of the very best drivers on the grid, capable of competing for the drivers´ championship if we can give him a car capable of doing so.” Russell, 27, said he was eager to take to the track, with pre-season testing taking place in Bahrain from Wednesday until Friday.
“I feel like last year was my strongest in F1,” the British driver said. “This coming season will be my seventh in the sport, and fourth with the works Mercedes team, and I´m working hard to improve year-on-year. As a team, we are incredibly motivated to improve on last season.”
Italian Antonelli, 18, said he was excited to make his F1 debut. “It is a great opportunity, and I am very thankful to everyone at Mercedes for the faith and trust they´ve placed in me,” he said.
-
Emily Ratajkowski Appears To Confirm Romance With Dua Lipa's Ex Romain Gavras -
Leighton Meester Breaks Silence On Viral Ariana Grande Interaction On Critics Choice Awards -
Heavy Snowfall Disrupts Operations At Germany's Largest Airport -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Released Hours After Police Arrest -
Heidi Klum Eyes Spooky Season Anthem With Diplo After Being Dubbed 'Queen Of Halloween' -
King Charles Is In ‘unchartered Waters’ As Andrew Takes Family Down -
Why Prince Harry, Meghan 'immensely' Feel 'relieved' Amid Andrew's Arrest? -
Jennifer Aniston’s Boyfriend Jim Curtis Hints At Tensions At Home, Reveals Rules To Survive Fights -
Shamed Andrew ‘dismissive’ Act Towards Royal Butler Exposed -
Hailey Bieber Shares How She Protects Her Mental Health While Facing Endless Criticism -
Amanda Seyfried Shares Hilarious Reaction To Discovering Second Job On 'Housemaid': 'Didn’t Sign Up For That' -
Queen Elizabeth II Saw ‘qualities Of Future Queen’ In Kate Middleton -
Hilary Duff Reveals Deep Fear About Matthew Koma Marriage -
Will Sarah Ferguson End Up In Police Questioning After Andrew’s Arrest? Barrister Answers -
Matthew McConaughey Gets Candid About AI Threat To Actors: 'Be Prepared' -
Hailey Bieber Shares How 16-month-old Son Jack Blues Is Already Following In Justin Bieber's Footsteps