Russia waging ‘reckless’ sabotage campaign in Europe: UK spy chief
PARIS: Russia is waging a reckless campaign of sabotage in Europe, the British foreign intelligence chief warned on Friday, accusing President Vladimir Putin of showing a mixture of “bluster and aggression”.
In a rare public speech abroad, the head of the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS, also known as MI6), Richard Moore, also said that while Iran had been affected by the degrading of allied militias in the Middle East, its nuclear programme “threatens us all”.
“We have recently uncovered a staggeringly reckless campaign of Russian sabotage in Europe, even as Putin and his acolytes resort to nuclear sabre-rattling to sow fear about the consequences of aiding Ukraine and challenge Western resolve,” Moore said in a speech in Paris.
He did not disclose details as to the nature of the sabotage but said such “activity and rhetoric” was “dangerous and beyond irresponsible”.
Moore acknowledged the cost of Western support for Ukraine, which has been fighting Russia´s full-scale invasion since February 2022.
But he warned the “cost of not doing so would be infinitely higher”.
“If Putin is allowed to succeed in reducing Ukraine to a vassal state, he will not stop there,” said Moore.
“If Putin succeeds, China would weigh the implications, North Korea would be emboldened and Iran would become still more dangerous,” he said. But, Moore continued: “We have no doubt that our Ukrainian friends have the will to win.”
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'