Wednesday February 21, 2024

Career counselling: questions and answers

By Our Correspondent
January 01, 2024

Q1: Dear Mr Abidi, after completing O levels and Intermediate, I am now contemplating pursuing LLB. Some UK-based institutions offer 3-year LLB programmes, claiming HEC approval. However, most institutions in Pakistan offer a 5-year HEC-approved LLB programme. I wish to practice Law in Pakistan, so I'm seeking guidance on whether to study abroad. Would an international degree be beneficial for a legal career here? (Zaeem Abbas, Lahore)

Ans: Dear Zaeem, for practicing law in Pakistan, it is crucial that your law degree is recognised by the local Bar Council. Instead of opting for a foreign institution, I recommend studying in a local university. This ensures alignment with the requirements of the local Bar Council, making it easier for you to pursue your legal career in Pakistan.

A representational image of two professionals during an interaction. — Unsplash/File
A representational image of two professionals during an interaction. — Unsplash/File

Q2: Respected sir, I am currently in the first year of the Federal Board, studying Medical. I have a passion for Law, and I'm uncertain about pursuing Medical studies or Law. Can you advise on the prospects for a girl after obtaining a Law degree? Additionally, should I study Law abroad, and what are the prospects of CSS after a Law degree? (Reena, Karachi)

Ans: Dear Reena, Medical Studies and Law are distinct fields, and you should choose based on your interests. Females with Law degrees have excelled as judges in Pakistan and abroad. After obtaining a Law degree, you can consider CSS, opening avenues in the Judiciary or Law Ministry. Females in the legal profession have achieved significant success.

Q3: Dear sir, I've completed O levels with outstanding grades. I'm currently pursuing A levels with a focus on Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics. I'm uncertain about my next steps and whether I need to take any courses for foreign university applications. (Bostaan Ali, Okara)

Ans: Dear Ali, with your A-level subjects, you have a wide range of degree options. Proper career counselling is recommended to discuss your interests and goals. This will help you to decide on a suitable course and shortlist universities, whether in the UK, Canada, Europe, or Australia, before the application deadlines.

Q4: Sir, I am disappointed and confused about the slow progress in my CA studies. It has taken me six years, and I feel I won't succeed at this pace. I have two years of work experience within these six years. Your expert advice on what I should do would be highly appreciated. (Azmat Ali, Rawalpindi)

Ans: Dear Azmat, considering your situation, obtaining a formal qualification such as BCom or an MBA related to your work experience might be a more feasible option. While continuing your CA studies, acquiring local academic qualifications, recognised by HEC, can contribute to your professional career progression.

(Syed Azhar Husnain Abidi is a renowned educationist in Pakistan, with more than 20 years of experience as provider of education counselling services. He has represented Pakistan in over 100 national and international seminars, conferences and fora. He is a recipient of the most coveted civil award Tamgha-e-Imtiaz).