SEOUL: North Korea has sent troops to its southern border to restore guard posts taken down under a 2018 agreement with South Korea, Seoul´s military said on Monday, after Pyongyang´s launch of a spy satellite stoked tensions on the peninsula.
In response to the launch last week, Seoul partially suspended the agreement that was aimed at easing border hostilities, prompting Pyongyang to scrap the pact entirely and warn it would “never be bound” by the deal again.
A South Korean military official told AFP on Monday that Pyongyang had recently sent armed personnel and equipment to restore the guard posts. Yonhap news agency reported that North Korean soldiers were “seen rebuilding the guard posts from Friday”, according to a military official, and that all 11 posts withdrawn under the five-year-old deal were expected to be restored.
One photo released by South Korea´s military shows four North Korean soldiers rebuilding a wooden guard post in the Demilitarized Zone that separates the two countries. North Korea´s accelerated development of its weapons programmes has alarmed Seoul.
South Korea deployed “surveillance and reconnaissance assets” to the border after the satellite launch, in what its military said was an “essential measure” to defend against North Korea´s growing threats.
The government wants to boost medical school admissions by 2,000 from the 2025 academic year
He appeared in court in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh where his bail application was accepted
Protesters draped huge sheets of black fabric over Sunak’s residence in Yorkshire, northern England
official said information could change and did not say if the drone was in international airspace
Measles cases have been increasing across most regions mainly due to missed vaccinations during the Covid-19
Dozens of tractors parked in front of parliament and more were set to join