Millions of lives at risk as winter bites in war-torn Ukraine
KYIV, Ukraine: Millions of Ukrainian lives are at risk this winter as the country´s power grid struggles under a barrage of Russian attacks, the World health Organisation warned on Monday.
Moscow has been targeting energy infrastructure, launching missile strikes that have left homes across the country without electricity as temperatures plunge. The damage is having “knock-out effects” on Ukraine´s health system, WHO regional director for Europe Hans Kluge told reporters.
“This winter will be about survival,” he warned, saying it would be “life-threatening for millions of people in Ukraine”. Up to three million Ukrainians could leave their homes in search of warmth and safety, he said.
“They will face unique health challenges, including respiratory infections such as Covid-19, pneumonia, influenza, and the serious risk of diphtheria and measles in (an) under-vaccinated population,” he added.
Meanwhile Ukraine said it had discovered four Russian torture sites in the southern city of Kherson, which Moscow´s forces pulled out of earlier this month leaving behind a trail of misery and destruction.
It was the only regional capital Moscow´s forces had won after nearly nine months of fighting in Ukraine. Kyiv accused withdrawing forces of rendering key infrastructure useless, including water and electricity stations.
On Monday, Kyiv said Moscow had run a network of torture blacksites in the city, building on claims that Russian authorities had perpetrated abuses on a “horrific” scale there.
“Together with police officers and experts, (prosecutors) conducted inspections of four premises where, during the capture of the city, the occupiers illegally detained people and brutally tortured them,” the Ukrainian prosecutor general´s office said in a statement.
Russian forces had also set up “pseudo-law enforcement agencies” at detention centres in Kherson as well as in a police station, it said. The remains of rubber truncheons, a wooden bat and “a device with which the occupiers tortured civilians with electricity” were found, it added.
Russian authorities also left behind paperwork documenting the administration of the detention sites, the prosecutor´s office said. The allegations are just the latest from Kyiv against Russian troops, who have been accused of running similar abuse operations elsewhere.
Last week Ukrainian ombudsman Dmytro Lubinets said Russian forces were responsible for “horrific” torture in Kherson, saying dozens were abused in detention and more were killed. AFP spoke last week to a Kherson resident who said he spent weeks in detention where he was beaten and electrocuted by Russian and pro-Russian forces.
-
Is Elon Musk Set To Become First Trillionaire In 2026? Market Odds Explained -
Prince Harry’s Protective Stance On Meghan Markle Sparked Rift With William, Charles -
How BTS Push Through Performances As They Gear For 2026 Comeback -
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up