Basmati rice (washed) 75g
Whole milk 1 litre
Cardamom pods (lightly crushed) 8
Almonds (slivered) 50g
Caster sugar 2 tbsp.
Pistachios (chopped) handful
Gold leaf to decorate
- Tip the rice into a large saucepan and toast over a low heat for a few minutes.
- Stir in the milk, cardamom and almonds. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the sultanas and simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by half and the mixture has thickened.
- Stir in the sugar, to taste, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Pour into a large bowl, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 1–2 hours, or overnight. Pick out the cardamom pods.
- Serve in four bowls decorated with crushed pistachios and gold leaf (if using).
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 30 mins to 1 hour
Serves: 4 Courtesy: BBC Food
ONE-PAN ROAST CHICKEN WITH VEGETABLES
Lay chicken thighs on a bed of seasoned potatoes and vegetables for an easy, oven-roasted meal that’s sure to impress your amma...
6 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs 6
Salt as needed
Black pepper as needed
1/4 cup olive oil ¼ cup
Yukon Gold (baby) potatoes 1 pound
Garlic 10 cloves
Fresh thyme 7 sprigs
Parsnips (peeled and sliced 1-inch thick) 2
Lemon (thinly sliced) 1
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a roasting pan on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and sear until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes; remove to a plate.
- Add the potatoes, garlic, onions, thyme, parsnips, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to the roasting pan; stir. Cook until the vegetables are warmed and coated in oil, 2 minutes.
- Place the chicken, skin-side up, on top of the vegetables. Scatter with the lemon slices and thyme sprigs.
- Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
Prep: 30 minutes Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes Serves: 4-6
Courtesy: Food Network (Recipe by Tia Mowry)