Out this week
- Such Pretty Forks in the Road by Alanis Morissette: The ninth album by the Canadian-American singer, her first studio release in eight years, following 2012’s Havoc and Bright Lights; includes the singles ‘Smiling’, ‘Diagnosis’, and ‘Reckoning’.
- Black Is King by Beyoncé: Visual album created by the American singer; serves as a companion to the 2019 album The Lion King: The Gift which the singer curated for last year’s remake of the Disney movie.
- Unhinged (starring Russell Crowe, Caren Pistorius, Gabriel Bateman, Jimmi Simpson) – thriller; an unstable stranger (Crowe) starts stalking a woman (Pistorius) following a road rage confrontation at an intersection.
- Summerland (starring Gemma Arterton, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Lucas Bond, Penelope Wilton, Tom Courtenay) – drama; a reclusive writer (Arterton) reluctantly bonds with a young boy (Bond) who has been entrusted to her care after the London Blitz.
Benjamin Joseph Manaly Novak
- Born on 31st July 1979 in Newton, Massachusetts, U.S.
- Has two younger brothers, Jesse and Lev.
- Graduated from Harvard University in 2001. Majored in English and Spanish literature.
- Started working as a stand-up comic after graduation.
- Gained recognition after being cast in the U.S. adaptation of The Office (2005 – 2013); was also a producer and writer for the show.
- Has since appeared in movies including Inglourious Basterds (2009), Saving Mr. Banks (2013), and The Founder (2016).
- Has also written books, including One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories (2014).
- Had an on and off relationship with Mindy Kaling, who played his onscreen love interest in The Office. Is the godfather of Kaling’s daughter.
Also born today: Zac Brown, Emilia Fox, Ben Chaplin, Dean Cain, J. K. Rowling, Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim), Wesley Snipes, Mark Cuban, Michael Biehn, Gary Lewis
Cast: Tom Hanks, Stephen Graham, Rob Morgan, Elisabeth Shue
Director: Aaron Schneider
- War drama; during WWII, an inexperienced U.S. Navy captain must defend an Allied convoy being attacked by Nazi warships.
- Is based on the 1955 C. S. Forester novel The Good Shepherd, with the screenplay written by Tom Hanks.
- Was initially scheduled to be theatrically released but was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Apple TV+ eventually acquired the distribution rights and released the film digitally.
- Had a budget of around $50 million.
- Has received mixed to positive reviews; its tension and fast pace has been praised by critics.
- Score composed by Blake Neely.