Out this week
- My Name Is Michael Holbrook by Mika: The British singer’s fifth album; comes after 2015’s No Place in Heaven; includes the singles ‘Ice Cream’, ‘Tiny Love’, ‘Sanremo’, ‘Dear Jealousy’, and ‘Tomorrow’.
- Closer Than Together by The Avett Brothers: Tenth album by the American folk rock band; follows 2016’s True Sadness; is informed by the current socio-political climate; includes the songs ‘High Steppin’’ and ‘Who Will I Hold’.
- Joker (starring Joaquin Phoenix, Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Frances Conroy) – thriller, launch DC’s standalone film series DC Black; a failed stand-up comedian (Phoenix) turns to a life of crime in Gotham City.
- Little Monsters (starring Lupita Nyong'o, Alexander England, Josh Gad) – horror comedy; a teacher (Nyong'o), a failed musician (England), and an obnoxious children’s television personality (Gad) must protect a group of kindergarteners from a zombie invasion.
- Lucy in the Sky (starring Natalie Portman, Jon Hamm, Zazie Beetz, Dan Stevens) – drama, loosely based on astronaut Lisa Nowak’s criminal activities; an astronaut (Portman) hits a downward spiral after a long space mission.
Dakota Mayi Johnson
- Born on 4th October 1989 in Austin, Texas, U.S.
- Is the daughter of actors Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith.
- Has four paternal half-siblings and two maternal half-siblings.
- Was diagnosed with hyperactivity at an early age.
- Started modelling as a child.
- Made her film debut in Crazy in Alabama (1999) which starred her mother and was directed by her then-stepfather Antonio Banderas.
- Gained fame for her first starring role as Anastasia Steele in the Fifty Shades film series (2015 – 2018).
- Has since appeared in movies including How to Be Single (2016), Suspiria (2018), Bad Times at the El Royale (2018), and The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019).
- Upcoming projects include the thriller Wounds (2019), drama The Friend (2019), and comedy Covers (2020).
- Has been in a relationship with Coldplay singer Chris Martin since October 2017.
Also born today: Melissa Benoist, Rachael Leigh Cook, Liev Schreiber, Chris Lowe, Christoph Waltz, Susan Sarandon, Anne Rice
Rambo: Last Blood
Cast: Sylvester Stallone, Paz Vega, Sergio Peris-Mencheta, Adriana Barraza, Yvette Monreal, Genie Kim, Joaquín Cosío, Oscar Jaenada
Director: Adrian Grunberg
Tagline: They drew first blood. He will draw last.
- Action; John Rambo (Stallone) goes to Mexico to save his adopted daughter (Monreal) who has been kidnapped by a cartel.
- Is based on the character created by author David Morrell for his 1972 novel First Blood.
- Is the fifth instalment in the Rambo franchise.
- Had been in the works since 2008, with different iterations developed and cancelled.
- Had a $50 million budget; has made almost $46 million in less than two weeks.
- Has received negative reviews from critics, who criticised the film’s graphic violence and xenophobia.
- Has two different theatrical cuts, varying by country. One version includes an alternate opening scene where Rambo rescues missing hikers from a severe storm.
- Score composed by Brian Tyler.