Out this week
- Order in Decline by Sum 41: Seventh album by the Canadian rock band; follows 2016’s 13 Voices; includes the singles ‘Out for Blood’, ‘A Death in the Family’, ‘Never There’, and ‘45 (A Matter Of Time)’.
- Also out this week: The Space Between the Shadows, the third solo album by Creed singer Scott Stapp; Australian rapper Iggy Azalea’s second album, In My Defense; and American singer Sabrina Carpenter’s fourth album Singular: Act II.
- The Lion King (starring Donald Glover, Seth Rogen, Billy Eichner, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter, James Earl Jones) – musical drama, remake of Disney’s 1994 animated film of the same name; after his father’s (Jones) murder, a young lion crown prince (Glover) flees his kingdom and ends up learning the true meaning of bravery.
- Stephen Fry (@stephenfry): The Greatest Match. I feel for New Zealand who played so so well. Luck went England’s way, but what a great side they are. I feel sorry for those who don’t get cricket. They miss the most exquisite feelings of joy, agony, tension, thrill, surprise, glory, and wonder. #CWC19Final
- Mindy Kaling (@mindykaling): That Federer concession speech was incredibly charming.
- Julius Sharpe (@juliussharpe): As I get older, my only life goal is that my name is never preceded by the words “The now-disgraced.”
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Cast: Tom Holland, Samuel L. Jackson, Zendaya, Cobie Smulders, Jon Favreau, J. B. Smoove, Jacob Batalon, Martin Starr, Marisa Tomei, Jake Gyllenhaal
Directed by: Jon Watts
- Action; Peter Parker (Holland), who has a crush on MJ (Zendaya), goes on a trip to Europe with his classmates, but the vacation is interrupted when elemental monsters attack Earth.
- Takes place 8 months after the events of Avengers: Endgame (2019).
- Is the twenty-third film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Is the sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017).
- Had a budget of $160 million; has made around $850 million in two weeks.
- Has received positive reviews from critics, earning praise for its humour and acting.
- Does not feature a Stan Lee cameo.
- Score composed by Michael Giacchino.
- A sequel is in development.
Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch
- Born on 19th July 1976 in London, England.
- Parents are both actors.
- Has an older maternal half-sister.
- Was a member of the dramatic arts club at school and part of numerous Shakespearean works.
- Took a gap year after leaving school to volunteer as an English teacher at a Tibetan monastery in Darjeeling, India.
- Studied drama at university.
- Was abducted, along with two friends, in South Africa in 2005 but was eventually set free.
- Appeared in several films, television shows, and theatre productions, before gaining international recognition upon the release of the first season of the TV series Sherlock in 2010.
- Has been portraying Dr. Stephen Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe since 2016, appearing in films including Doctor Strange (2016), Thor: Ragnarok (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), and Avengers: Endgame (2019).
- Has also starred in films including Star Trek Into Darkness (2013), 12 Years a Slave (2013), The Fifth Estate (2013), and The Imitation Game (2014), and also voiced characters in The Hobbit film series (2012 – 2014).
- Upcoming projects include the war movie 1917 (2019) and spy drama Ironbark (2019).
- Has been married to director Sophie Hunter since 2015; they have two sons, Christopher Carlton (born 2015) and Hal Auden (born 2017).
- Is a vegan.
Also born today: Jared Padalecki, Garth Nix, Brian May