Out this week
- Aladdin (starring Mena Massoud, Will Smith, Naomi Scott, Marwan Kenzari) – fantasy, live action remake of Disney’s 1992 animated film; a kind-hearted street urchin (Massoud) and an evil sorcerer (Kenzari) vie for a magic lamp that can make their wishes come true.
- Brightburn (starring Elizabeth Banks, David Denman, Jackson A. Dunn, Matt Jones, Meredith Hagner) – horror; a superhuman child (Dunn) from another world crash-lands on Earth but turns out to be sinister instead of a hero.
- Booksmart (starring Kaitlyn Dever, Beanie Feldstein, Noah Galvin, Billie Lourd, Jason Sudeikis, Lisa Kudrow, Will Forte) – comedy; two best friends (Dever, Feldstein) graduating from high school go on an end-of-year party.
Pokémon Detective Pikachu
Cast: Ryan Reynolds, Justice Smith, Kathryn Newton, Suki Waterhouse, Omar Chaparro, Chris Geere, Ken Watanabe, Bill Nighy
Director: Rob Letterman
- Action; a former Pokémon trainer (Smith) looking for his missing father comes across an intelligent talking Pikachu (Reynolds) who wants to be a detective.
- Is based on the Pokémon franchise and inspired by the 2016 video game.
- Is the first live action Pokémon film.
- Had a budget of $150 million; has made nearly $290 million in two weeks.
- Has received mixed reviews from critics, who praised the characters as well as Reynolds’ performance but found the story unexceptional. Several critics have cited it as the best live action film adaptation of a video game.
- Hugh Jackman, Mark Wahlberg, and Dwayne Johnson were among the actors considered for the titular role before Reynolds was cast.
- Features a cameo by DJ Diplo.
- Score composed by Henry Jackman. Soundtrack includes the Kygo and Rita Ora song ‘Carry On’.
- Whitney Cummings (@WhitneyCummings): Please use the #GOT hashtag when complaining about the wrong person being in power because if you don’t specify it just sounds like you’re talking about the actual news.
- Conan O’Brien (@ConanOBrien): How to get a Netflix special the hard way: do stand up for a decade.
Priscilla Ann Presley
- Born on 24th May 1945 in Brooklyn, New York City, U.S.
- Her father, U.S. Navy pilot James Wagner, was killed in a plane crash while returning home from leave when she was only six months old.
- Her mother, Ann, married U.S. Air Force officer Paul Beaulieu who raised Priscilla.
- Found out about her real father by discovering clues in an old box of family keepsakes.
- Had to move often as a child because of Beaulieu’s career.
- Moved to Germany where she met Elvis Presley during his army career in 1959 when she was 14.
- Eventually moved back to the U.S. to pursue a relationship with Elvis.
- Married Elvis in 1967. Their daughter, Lisa Marie, was born in 1968. They separated in 1972, and divorced in 1973.
- Subsequently dated attorney Robert Kardashian (1975 – 1976) and was in a long-term relationship with entrepreneur Marco Garibaldi (1984 – 2006) with whom she has a son, Navarone Garibaldi (born 1987).
- Following Elvis’s death in 1977, she took charge of the Elvis Presley Enterprise and turned Elvis’s Graceland mansion into one of the top tourist attractions in the country.
- Has also worked as an actress, appearing in the Naked Gun film series (1988 – 1994) and the television series Dallas (1983 – 1988).
Also born today: Mark Ballas, Will Sasso, Greg Berlanti, Eric Close, John C. Reilly, Kristin Scott Thomas, Rosanne Cash, Alfred Molina, Bob Dylan