Out this week
- In the End by The Cranberries: Final album by the Irish alternative rock band, their first release since the death of singer Dolores O'Riordan in 2018; comes after their seventh studio set Something Else (2017); includes the songs 'All Over Now', 'The Pressure', and 'Wake Me When It's Over'.
- Also out this week: The Balance, the third album by the Welsh band Catfish and the Bottlemen; Matchbox Twenty singer Rob Thomas's fourth solo album, Chip Tooth Smile; American pop singer Pink's eighth album, Hurts 2B Human; Love + Fear, the fourth record by Welsh singer Marina; and For the Throne: Music Inspired by the HBO Series Game of Thrones, a soundtrack inspired by the fantasy television drama.
- The Curse of La Llorona (starring Linda Cardellini, Raymond Cruz, Patricia Velasquez) - horror; a social worker (Cardellini) and her children are drawn into a supernatural realm.
- Under the Silver Lake (starring Andrew Garfield, Riley Keough, Topher Grace) - thriller; a man (Garfield) stumbles upon a conspiracy while investigating the mysterious disappearance of his neighbour (Keough).
Cast: Zachary Levi, Mark Strong, Asher Angel, Jack Dylan Grazer, Djimon Hounsou
Director: David F. Sandberg
Tagline: Just say the word.
- Action; a teenage boy (Angel) gains the power to transform into an adult superhero (Levi).
- Is based on the DC Comics character of the same name. Is the first live-action film version of the character since the 1941 serial Adventures of Captain Marvel (the character's original name).
- Is the seventh instalment in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU).
- Had been in development since the early 2000s, but was delayed for many years.
- Had an estimated budget of up to $100 million; made over $258 million in one and a half weeks.
- Has received positive reviews from critics who praised the film's sense of fun.
- Henry Cavill was in talks to make a cameo as Superman but was unable to because of scheduling conflicts with Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018)
- Score composed by Benjamin Wallfisch.
- A sequel is in development.
James Edward Franco
- Born on 19th April 1978 in California U.S.
- Has two younger brothers, actors Tom and Dave.
- Was good at studies.
- Interned at Lockheed Martin.
- Was arrested in his youth for illegal activities like graffiti and selling stolen cologne at school.
- Was interested in becoming a marine zoologist but was drawn towards acting instead.
- Got his break after being cast in the short-lived television series Freaks and Geeks (1999 - 2000).
- Gained global recognition for his role in the Spider-Man trilogy (2002 - 2007).
- Has since appeared in movies including Milk (2008), Pineapple Express (2008), Eat, Pray, Love (2010), Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011), Spring Breakers (2012), Oz the Great and Powerful (2013), This Is the End (2013), and The Disaster Artist (2017), as well as the television film James Dean (2001) and the TV series General Hospital (2009 - 2012), 11.22.63 (2016), and The Deuce (2017 - present).
- Got his pilot's license while preparing for his role in Flyboys (2006).
- Has been accused by multiple women of inappropriate behaviour as part of the #MeToo movement but has denied the allegations.
- Volunteers for the Art of Elysium charity.
- Also teaches acting.
Also born today: Hayden Christensen, Kate Hudson, Ashley Judd, Suge Knight, Tim Curry, Jayne Mansfield