Out this week
- Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase (starring Sophia Lillis, Zoe Renee, Mackenzie Graham) – mystery, based on Carolyn Keene’s book; young detective Nancy Drew (Lillis) investigates a haunted house.
- Wonder Park (starring Brianna Denski, Ken Hudson Campbell, Jennifer Garner, Matthew Broderick) – animation; a girl (Denski), who imagined a fantastical amusement park with her now-deceased mother (Garner), actually finds the park in the woods and must save it from destruction.
- Captive State (starring John Goodman, Ashton Sanders, Jonathan Majors, Machine Gun Kelly, Vera Farmiga) – thriller; a police officer (Goodman) tries to unite the world against extra-terrestrial invaders.
- The Aftermath (starring Keira Knightley, Alexander Skarsgård, Jason Clarke) – drama, based on Rhidian Brook’s novel; a British colonel (Clarke) and his wife (Knightley) are assigned to live in Hamburg, charged with rebuilding the city post WWII, and end up sharing their new house with its previous owner.
- Five Feet Apart (starring Cole Sprouse, Haley Lu Richardson) – romance, based on Rachael Lippincott’s book; two teenagers with life-threatening diseases fall in love.
- Conan O'Brien (@ConanOBrien): WHY IS THIS MEDITATION APP NOT LOADING
- George Takei (@GeorgeTakei): Waiting for Donald to call me George Star Trek.
- Ricky Gervais (@rickygervais): Be a good enough person to deserve your dog.
Cast: Liam Neeson, Laura Dern, Emmy Rossum, William Forsythe, Tom Bateman, Tom Jackson
Director: Hans Petter Moland
Tagline: Revenge is best served cold.
- Action; a snowplow driver (Neeson) seeks revenge against the drug dealers who killed his son.
- Remake of Moland’s 2014 Norwegian film In Order of Disappearance.
- Had a budget of $60 million; has made around $58 million in a month
- Has received mixed to positive reviews, earning praise for its action and dark humour.
- Parks Canada denied the film shooting permits because of concerns about the film’s environmental impact and the antagonist being an aboriginal Canadian.
- Was overshadowed by controversy after Neeson was accused of racism for revealing a controversial, four decades old incident during a press junket for the film.
- Will supposedly be Neeson’s final action movie role.
- Neeson’s actual son, Micheál Richardson, portrays his son in the film.
- Score by George Fenton.
Jai Stephen Courtney
- Born on 15th March 1986 in Sydney, Australia.
- Has an older sister.
- Graduated from the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts in 2008.
- Made his acting debut in 2005, starting his career with small roles and appearing in Australian series.
- Gained recognition after being cast in the television series Spartacus: Blood and Sand (2010). Has since appeared in several Hollywood movies, including Jack Reacher (2012), A Good Day to Die Hard (2013), I, Frankenstein (2014), The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015), Terminator Genisys (2015), and Suicide Squad (2016).
- Upcoming projects include the crime thriller Honest Thief.
- Enjoys sports, having participated in rugby, cricket, and athletics.
Also born today: will.i.am, Eva Longoria, Mark Hoppus, Mark McGrath, Bret Michaels, Sly Stone