Out this week:
- Windy City by Alison Krauss: The country singer’s fifth solo album, her first solo release in almost eighteen years since Forget About It (1999); features covers of ten classic songs.
- Prisoner by Ryan Adams: Sixteenth album by the singer, the follow-up to his cover of Taylor Swift’s 1989 (2015); includes the singles ‘Do You Still Love Me?’, ‘To Be Without You’, and ‘Doomsday’.
- The Great Wall (starring Matt Damon, Willem Dafoe, Jing Tian, Pedro Pascal, Andy Lau) – action; European mercenaries become involved in the defence of the Great Wall of China against monstrous creatures.
- A Cure for Wellness (starring Dane DeHaan, Jason Isaacs, Mia Goth) – thriller; a young executive (DeHaan) suspects that a wellness spa’s miraculous treatments aren’t what they seem.
- Fist Fight (starring Ice Cube, Charlie Day, Christina Hendricks) – comedy; a teacher (Day) is challenged to an after-school fight after he accidentally gets his colleague (Cube) fired.
Edward Christopher Sheeran
- Born on 17th February 1991 in West Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom.
- Has an older brother, Matthew.
- Sang in a local church choir as a child.
- Started recording music in 2004, and subsequently self-released several EPs.
- Released his debut album + in 2011, which earned him international fame, and second album x in 2014, which was also massively popular.
- Has also co-written songs for several artists, including Justin Bieber, One Direction, Taylor Swift, and Hilary Duff.
- Needed stitches on his right cheek after Princess Beatrice accidentally cut his face with a sword while jokingly knighting James Blunt in November 2016.
- Is set to release his third album, ÷, in March this year.
Also born today: Chord Overstreet, Paris Hilton, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Kelly Carlson, Jerry O’Connell, Taylor Hawkins, Billie Joe Armstrong, Denise Richards, Dominic Purcell, Michael Bay, Michael Jordan, Lou Diamond Phillips, Rene Russo
59th Annual Grammy Awards
- Record of the Year: ‘Hello’ – Adele
- Album of the Year: 25 – Adele
- Song of the Year: ‘Hello’ – Adele
- Pop Solo Performance: ‘Hello’ – Adele
- Pop Vocal Album: 25 – Adele
- Rock Performance: ‘Blackstar’ – David Bowie
- Rock Song: ‘Blackstar’ – David Bowie
- Alternative Music Album: Blackstar – David Bowie
- Engineered Album, Non-Classical: Blackstar – David Bowie
- Urban Contemporary Album: Lemonade – Beyoncé
- Music Video: ‘Formation’ – Beyoncé
- Country Album: A Sailor’s Guide to Earth – Sturgill Simpson
- Best New Artist: Chance the Rapper
For the complete list of winners, visit grammy.com/nominees
70th British Academy Film Awards
- Best Film: La La Land
- Director: Damien Chazelle – La La Land
- Actor in a Leading Role: Casey Affleck – Manchester by the Sea
- Actress in a Leading Role: Emma Stone – La La Land
- Actor in a Supporting Role: Dev Patel – Lion
- Actress in a Supporting Role: Viola Davis – Fences
- Animated Film: Kubo and the Two Strings
For the complete list of winners, visit bafta.org/film/film-award-nominees-2017