Sanofi shelves trial of COVID-19 drug after inconclusive results
Sanofi says neither it nor its American partner "envisage further clinical tests of Kevzara for the treatment of COVID-19
PARIS: Hopes of getting a treatment for coronavirus suffered a setback after French pharmaceutical giant Sanofi announced on Tuesday that it was halting of Phase 3 clinical tests of its Kevzara drug for serious COVID-19 cases as they had found inconclusive results .
The Phase 3 test — normally the last before official approval for use — "did not meet the primary or secondary evaluation criteria compared with a placebo, and in both cases, compared with established hospital care," it said in a statement.
Sanofi said neither it nor its American partner in developing the drug, Regeneron, "envisage further clinical tests of Kevzara for the treatment of Covid-19."
Although Kevzara "did not give us the results we were hoping for, we are proud of the work done by our team," Sanofi global research head Dr John Reed said in the statement.
Since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic late last year in China, it has claimed more than 800,000 lives and caused huge economic damage, sparking a global race to find a vaccine and effective treatments.
Sanofi is one of many companies developing a vaccine but scientists are cautious in saying that at best, one may only be available by the end of this year for initial use.
-
Can brain stimulation make people kinder & less selfish? New study offers hope
-
Mariah Carey details 'hardest' bipolar disorder experience
-
Pink reveals health routine for asthma management
-
Gigi Hadid talks about 'relieving tension' amid having Hashimoto's disease
-
Selena Gomez explains why she thought lupus was 'life-or-death'
-
How Kim Kardashian made her psoriasis ‘almost’ disappear
-
Nick Jonas gets candid about his type 1 diabetes diagnosis
-
Sir Jackie Stewart’s son advocates for dementia patients