Uber faces landmark trial in US over sexual assault claim
The company faces more than 500 additional sexual assault cases in California courts
Uber will go on trial this week in the US city of Phoenix as it faces a major legal test over claims it failed to protect passengers from sexual assault.
The case has been brought by Oklahoma resident Jaylynn Dean, who says she was raped by an Uber driver in Arizona after booking a ride through the app, reports Reuters.
She sued the company in 2023, a month after the alleged attack, arguing Uber knew about a growing number of sexual assault complaints involving drivers but did not do enough to improve rider safety.
The trial is being closely watched because it is the first 'bellwether' case among more than 3,000 similar lawsuits now consolidated in US federal court.
According to court filings, Dean says she was intoxicated when she ordered the Uber to travel from her boyfriend’s home to her hotel. She alleges the driver asked harassing questions during the journey before stopping the car and raping her.
Uber disputes liability and says it should not be held responsible for criminal acts committed by drivers who use its platform.
The company argues its background checks and safety disclosures are adequate and maintains that drivers are independent contractors, not employees. Uber also says it cannot be responsible for actions that fall outside a driver’s duties.
The company faces more than 500 additional sexual assault cases in California state courts. It won the only trial to reach a jury so far, in September, when jurors found Uber negligent in its safety measures but ruled that negligence did not directly cause the woman’s harm.
-
Why Donald Trump Jr. chose private Bahamas Island wedding amid questions over Trump’s attendance
-
‘We were lucky’: Stephen Colbert bids emotional farewell in final broadcast on Thursday
-
How Vanessa Trump is facing cancer with Tiger Woods' support?
-
Alberta MLAs approve petition asking if province should remain in Canada
-
Gaza aid flotilla activists allege abuse in Israeli custody after raids
-
Thousands gather in San Diego to honours ‘heroes’ killed in Islamic Center shooting
-
Trump monument approved despite public opposition and Arlington concerns
-
House GOP abruptly pull vote to stop Iran war to avoid embarrassment for Trump
-
Teen faces arson charges after baseball team bus goes up in flames in Winnipeg
-
Trump says he may skip son’s wedding as it comes at ‘not good timing’ amid Iran war
-
Trump administration loses latest battle over voter registration records
-
GOP senators slam Trump’s 'anti-weaponization' fund as 'galactic blunder'
