Nepal lifts social media ban after violent protests leave 19 dead, over 100 injured
UN Human Rights Commission ready to assists Nepal following deadly protest over social media ban
Nepal government has lifted the social media ban after 19 people were killed and more than 100 were injured in on-going protests since Thursday, September 4, 2025, that sparked and led clashes with the police.
Platforms such as Instagram and Facebook have millions of users in Nepal, being a source of entertainment, news and business but the social media ban had blocked 26 sites including WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube by government.
The block was aimed at tackling fraud, misinformation and hate speech.
A week before the ban, a “Nepo Kid” campaign, spotlighting the lavish lifestyles of politician's children and allegation of corruption had taken off on social media.
After the government moved forward in imposing the ban, protests erupted and thousands of young people stormed parliament in the capital Kathmandu on Monday, September 8, 2025, with several districts in curfew.
As reported by Reuters, the ministry of Information and Technology and Cabinet’s Spokesperson Prithvi Subba Gurung, informed on Tuesday, September 9, 2025, that the government has rolled back the ban imposed since last week.
“We have withdrawn the shutdown of the social media. They are working now," Gurung informed .
Cabinet minister also informed that they lifted the ban after an emergency meeting held late on Monday night, September 8, 2025, to "address the demands of Gen Z".
The protests turned deadly in Kathmandu when police fired live rounds and deployed tear gas, rubber bullets, water cannon, and batons as protesters attempted to storm the Parliament complex.
Nepal’s now former Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli expressing condolences, said that he was “deeply saddened” over the deaths of several people during the protests.
“I express my deepest condolences to the families and relatives of those who lost their family members in this unthinkable incident. The government will provide appropriate relief to the families of the deceased and free treatment to the injured.”
Moreover, the government informed that it would set up an investigation panel and offered compensation to the families of people killed in the protests.
“The government was not in favor of stopping the use of social media and will ensure an environment for its use, and investigation committee will be formed to investigate and analyze the protests," ex PM Oli said.
Furthermore, the United Nations Office for the High Commissioner of Human Rights, also expressed their concerns over the critical situation.
UN Human Rights Commission informed that it had received “several deeply worrying allegations of unnecessary or disproportionate use of force by security forces during the protests”.
UN spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani said, “We are shocked by the killings and injury of protesters in Nepal today and urge a prompt and transparent investigation.”
-
'Harry Potter' alum Daniel Radcliffe gushes about unique work ethic of late co star Michael Gambon
-
Paul McCartney talks 'very emotional' footage of late wife Linda in new doc
-
It's a boy! Luke Combs, wife Nicole welcome third child
-
Gemma Chan reflects on 'difficult subject matter' portrayed in 'Josephine'
-
Rebecca Gayheart unveils what actually happened when husband Eric Dane called her to reveal his ALS diagnosis
-
Eric Dane recorded episodes for the third season of 'Euphoria' before his death from ALS complications
-
Jennifer Aniston and Jim Curtis share how they handle relationship conflicts
-
Apple sued over 'child sexual abuse' material stored or shared on iCloud