Iran to submit nuclear deal counter-proposal to US
"The US proposal is not acceptable to us," Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei
DUBAI: Iran is preparing to submit a counter-proposal to the United States through Oman in response to a recent American offer regarding the revival of the nuclear deal, Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said on Monday.
According to Reuters, Tehran views the US proposal, presented in late May, as unacceptable. A senior Iranian diplomat noted that the offer did not adequately address key disagreements, including uranium enrichment activities within Iran, the removal of the country’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium, and the lifting of US sanctions.
"The US proposal is not acceptable to us. It was not the result of previous rounds of negotiations. We will present our own proposal to the other side via Oman after it is finalised. This proposal is reasonable, logical, and balanced," Baghaei said.
Baghaei added that there was not yet any detail regarding the date of a sixth round of nuclear talks between Iran and the US.
Last week, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei dismissed the US proposal as against the country's interests, pledging to continue enrichment.
During his first term in 2018, US President Donald Trump ditched a 2015 nuclear pact between Iran and six powers and reimposed sanctions that have crippled Iran's economy. Iran responded by escalating enrichment far beyond that pact's limits.
-
Nancy Guthrie kidnapped with 'blessings' of drug cartels
-
Heavy snowfall disrupts operations at Germany's largest Airport
-
France sees record 102mn international tourists in 2025
-
ICE deports Congolese mother despite fears she could be killed
-
Keir Starmer appoints 'Dame Antonia Romeo' as first female head of UK service
-
Russia sounds alarm over Iran tension as US forces surge in region
-
France on red alert: Storm Pedro batters southwest following record 35 day rain streak
-
Headway made in Nancy Guthrie case: report