Court orders FIA to initiate probe against Cynthia Ritchie
ISLAMABAD: A Sessions Court, Islamabad on Monday has directed the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to conduct an inquiry against US blogger Cynthia D. Ritchie for allegedly defaming former prime minister Benazir Bhutto on social media.
Additional District and Sessions Judge Jahangir Awan released the order on a petition filed by PPP leader Advocate Raja Shakeel Abbasi. During hearing the judge observed that Ritchie did not deny that she had posted the tweet, and therefore, a crime was committed falling under Peca Act 2016". The FIA was, therefore, competent authority to probe the matter further in accordance with the law.
The court further remarked that FIA has been directed to proceed in accordance with the law, conduct an inquiry and if there is sufficient material, register an FIR.
The judge also observed that the allegations levelled against former PM Benazir were made 12 years after the PPP leader's assassination. The judge said that the US blogger “never agitated this fact before any competent authority and even not disclosed on the media”.
The judge also observed that this stage after the lapse of 12 years her disclosure to malign the character of a deceased leader was apparently based on mala fide. The FIA had earlier argued that under Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act, 2016, only “aggrieved” persons were qualified to file such a petition, the verdict said, explaining that in the present scenario, word 'aggrieved' was used instead of “legal heirs”. The court had held that Benazir was “leader of millions and ex-prime minister of Pakistan, thus anyone from her followers can be treated as an aggrieved person”. Earlier, Ritchie’s counsel had argued that the tweet by her client was fake. But she said later that her lawyer misrepresented her by telling the court that the tweet was fake.
“I never said my tweets were fake,” Ritchie tweeted, pointing out that Khan was suddenly demanding Rs2 million from her. “We were supposed to file a criminal report today against Rehman Malik. Now, suddenly Mr Khan is demanding Rs2 million from me even though this matter was managed by a 3rd party,” said the US blogger. Earlier, the FIA had refused to lodge FIR against Ritchie when PPP leader Advocate Raja Shakeel Abbasi approached the agency over her hateful comments and slander against Benazir Bhutto. Abbasi said she had posted on Twitter “very derogatory and slanderous remarks” about Bhutto and Asif Ali Zardari’s marital life.
-
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports