close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!
AFP
March 12, 2020

Israel razes homes of Palestinian bombing suspects

World

AFP
March 12, 2020

RAMALLAH, Palestinian Territories: Israeli forces on Thursday demolished the homes of two Palestinian men accused of involvement in a bomb attack last year that killed an Israeli teenager in the occupied West Bank.

The explosion on August 23, 2019, near a spring close to the Jewish settlement of Dolev, killed 17-year-old Rina Shnerb and wounded her father and brother. Four men were subsequently rounded up and were later charged with planting the roadside bomb as members of the banned Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine.

An English-language army statement said soldiers on Thursday razed the home of Walid Hanatsheh in Ramallah and Yazan Mughamis in the nearby town of Birzeit.

It said Palestinians hurled rocks and petrol bombs at troops and burned tyres in protest during the demolitions, while soldiers responded with unspecified "riot dispersal means". There were no reports of wounded on either side.

Israel routinely demolishes the homes of those accused of carrying out attacks. It argues that such measures act as a deterrent, but critics say it amounts to collective punishment.

The family of Kasim Shibli, another detained suspect, has been notified that his home in Kobar, near Ramallah, is also slated for demolition subject to a ruling by the Israeli supreme court, which is set to hear an appeal against the move on March 16. The army said the court had rejected appeals on behalf of Hanatsheh and Mughamis.

The fourth suspect, Samer al-Arbeed, rents his home, which can therefore not be demolished, Palestinians said. Israel’s Shin Bet security agency in September identified Arbeed as the ringleader and said the cell had been planning shooting attacks and a kidnapping.