Tennis Australia seek meeting with troubled Tomic
SYDNEY: Tennis Australia said Tuesday it will contact troubled star Bernard Tomic in the next week to “clear the air” and hopes to have him back on-side for September’s Davis Cup semi-final.President Steve Healy said TA was concerned about the 22-year-old following his arrest in Miami last week for failing
By our correspondents
July 22, 2015
SYDNEY: Tennis Australia said Tuesday it will contact troubled star Bernard Tomic in the next week to “clear the air” and hopes to have him back on-side for September’s Davis Cup semi-final.
President Steve Healy said TA was concerned about the 22-year-old following his arrest in Miami last week for failing to follow police orders over a raucous penthouse party.
It came on the eve of Australia’s ultimately successful Davis Cup quarter-final tie against Kazakhstan, from which Tomic was dumped after a tirade against Australian tennis administrators following his Wimbledon exit.
“We want to offer Bernard the opportunity to raise the issues he has raised, so we can address those with him,” Healy told reporters.
“We think the criticisms are unjustified — he needs to hear that. He needs to get some detail, and we want to bring him back into the fold.
“I think the important thing to understand is he’s had fantastic support from Tennis Australia and we want him to understand and appreciate that and then welcome him back into Davis Cup.” Tomic is currently in Colombia preparing to defend his Claro Open ATP title, which Healy conceded would make a face-to-face meeting difficult.
“But we want to take those issues off the table,” he said, adding that he hoped to resolve the issues quickly, but said it was mostly out of TA’s hands. “To a large extent, it depends on how Bernard reacts,” he added.
President Steve Healy said TA was concerned about the 22-year-old following his arrest in Miami last week for failing to follow police orders over a raucous penthouse party.
It came on the eve of Australia’s ultimately successful Davis Cup quarter-final tie against Kazakhstan, from which Tomic was dumped after a tirade against Australian tennis administrators following his Wimbledon exit.
“We want to offer Bernard the opportunity to raise the issues he has raised, so we can address those with him,” Healy told reporters.
“We think the criticisms are unjustified — he needs to hear that. He needs to get some detail, and we want to bring him back into the fold.
“I think the important thing to understand is he’s had fantastic support from Tennis Australia and we want him to understand and appreciate that and then welcome him back into Davis Cup.” Tomic is currently in Colombia preparing to defend his Claro Open ATP title, which Healy conceded would make a face-to-face meeting difficult.
“But we want to take those issues off the table,” he said, adding that he hoped to resolve the issues quickly, but said it was mostly out of TA’s hands. “To a large extent, it depends on how Bernard reacts,” he added.
-
Inside Channing Tatum's Red Carpet Return After Shoulder Surgery -
Ryan Coogler Brands 'When Harry Met Sally' His Most Favourite Rom Com While Discussing Love For Verstality -
Sarah Pidgeon Explains Key To Portraying Carolyn Bessette Kennedy -
Justin Bieber Rocked The World With Bold Move 15 Years Ago -
Sam Levinson Wins Hearts With Huge Donation To Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Kate Middleton Steps Out First Time Since Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Arrest -
Inside Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi's 'private' Marriage With Husband Jionni LaValle Amid Health Scare -
Germany’s Ruling Coalition Backs Social Media Ban For Children Under 14 -
Meghan Markle Shuts Down Harry’s Hopes Of Reconnecting With ‘disgraced’ Uncle -
Liza Minnelli Alleges She Was Ordered To Use Wheelchair At 2022 Academy Awards -
Quinton Aaron Reveals Why He Does Not Want To Speak To Wife Margarita Ever Again -
Prince William And Kate's Photos With Andrew Used In New Campaign Against Royals -
Touching Eric Dane Moment With Daughter Emerges After Viral Final Words -
Kate Middleton Quietly Backs Princess Beatrice, Eugenie As Andrew Scandal Intensifies -
Michael B. Jordan Shares His Thoughts On Growing Trend Of Live-action Anime Adaptations -
Why Mikaela Shiffrin Celebrated Olympic Gold With Taylor Swift Song?