Terzic quits as coach of Champions League finalists Dortmund
MUNICH: Borussia Dortmund coach Edin Terzic said on Thursday he was leaving the Bundesliga club less than two weeks after they lost to Real Madrid in the Champions League final.
“Dear Borussia supporters, even if it really makes me sad, I want to tell you today that I have decided to leave,” Terzic said in a club statement.
Terzic said he asked the club leadership for a meeting after Dortmund´s Champions League final loss at Wembley to hand in his resignation. “After 10 years at BVB, including five years on the coaching team and two and a half years as head coach, I feel that the upcoming new start should be accompanied by a new man on the sidelines.”
Dortmund accepted Terzic´s resignation, with club leadership meeting on Thursday to discuss future plans. CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke thanking the coach for his “outstanding work”, saying “we all owe him a debt of gratitude.”
“Edin and I will always be friends.” Dortmund sporting director Sebastian Kehl said the club´s “successes of the past few years will be linked to (Terzic)”, saying the coach “will follow his own path.”
German media reported on Thursday that former Dortmund player and current assistant coach Nuri Sahin will take over as manager ahead of the coming season. Sahin, who was brought in as one of two assistant coaches to Terzic in January having previously managed Antalyaspor in the Turkish Super Lig, came through Dortmund´s junior system and played 274 times for the club.
The 35-year-old Sahin won one Bundesliga title and a German Cup at Dortmund, having also played for Real Madrid and Liverpool. Terzic´s exit comes as a shock as he was widely expected to lead the club again next year after a run to the Champions League final. He had previously served as an assistant for West Ham and Beskitas but his next step is unclear.
-
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody