close
Tuesday April 23, 2024

Prince Harry will appeal after losing challenge over his UK police protection

His lawyers told a hearing in December that the decision to take this away subjected him to unlawful, unfair and unjustifiable treatment

By REUTERS
February 29, 2024
Prince Harry can be seen in this image. — AFP/File
Prince Harry can be seen in this image. — AFP/File

LONDON: Prince Harry said on Wednesday he would mount an appeal after he lost his legal challenge against the British government’s decision to take away his police protection when he is in Britain.

Harry, King Charles’ younger son, had brought the action against the government at the High Court in London after the Home Office - the ministry responsible for policing - decided in February 2020 that he would cease to automatically receive personal police security while in Britain.

Harry, along with other senior royals, had received full publicly-funded security protection provided by the state before he stepped back from his royal duties and moved to California with his American wife Meghan in March 2020.

His lawyers told a hearing in December that the decision to take this away subjected him to unlawful, unfair and unjustifiable treatment.

But the government’s legal team said the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures, known as RAVEC, had not decided Harry should not receive protection, but that he should not have it on the same basis. The High Court agreed, concluding that there had been no unlawfulness in the decision.