UN ‘deeply concerned’ by detentions of Afghan women over Hijab
UNAMA says it had documented series of campaigns by officials since January 1
KABUL: The UN mission in Afghanistan said on Thursday it was “deeply concerned” by “recent arbitrary arrests and detentions” of Afghan women accused of flouting Hijab rules set by Taliban authorities.
The Afghan government quickly dismissed the statement from the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) as “propaganda”.
Media reports and social media posts in recent days have said women had been detained by Taliban authorities for not wearing proper Hijab, as per a decree calling for women to be covered entirely except for their hands and eyes, though many women still go out in the capital Kabul without covering their mouths.
UNAMA said in a press release it had documented “a series of campaigns” by police and the Ministry for the Propagation of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice over Hijab since January 1 in Kabul and the central Daykundi province. It added it was probing “allegations of ill-treatment and incommunicado detention” as well as the targeting of religious and ethnic minority groups.
“UNAMA fears the current crackdown is pushing women into even greater isolation due to fear of arbitrary arrest, and creating a permissive environment for men to enforce repressive measures at home,” the release said.
UNAMA called for the immediate release of those in detention, adding it had discussed the issue with Taliban authorities.
“Enforcement measures involving physical violence are especially demeaning and dangerous for Afghan women and girls,” said UNAMA head Roza Otunbayeva.
“Detentions carry an enormous stigma that put Afghan women at even greater risk,” she added.
Taliban government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said UNAMA´s concerns were misplaced.
“Afghan women observe Hijab by themselves, they don´t need to be forced, and no one was forced by officials of the Promotion of Virtues either,” he said on social media site X.
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'