South Africa’s Bedingham eyes ‘life after cricket’ in England
CAPE TOWN: Batsman David Bedingham, who made an impressive Test debut for South Africa against India last week, said he is still trying to secure a British passport -- but not so he can play for England.
Bedingham made 56 in the first Test at Centurion and impressed observers with his stroke play, calm demeanour and shot selection.
The 29-year-old right-handed batsman has played English county cricket for Durham since 2020.
He has a claim to British citizenship through ancestry and took no part in the 2022/23 South African domestic season, leading to speculation that he saw his future in England.
“I’m still trying to get a passport in England but it’s not for cricket, it’s for after cricket,” he told journalists on Monday ahead of the second Test starting at Newlands on Wednesday.
“I’d like to continue playing there (in England) but since I’ve gone there I’ve played as an overseas player and I don’t think that will change.”
He refuted that he had entertained ambitions of playing for England.
“I had ambitions of playing (county cricket) as a local but if I was going to play for England it would still be another three or four years,” he said.
He added a call from South African coach Shukri Conrad had persuaded him to make himself available for the Test team rather than seek a place in the SA20, South Africa’s T20 franchise competition.
Bedingham and Keegan Petersen are the only two players who took part in the first Test who have
been named in South
Africa’s squad for two Test matches in New Zealand, with all the other first-choice players committed to the SA20.
“I took my name out of
the draft so that I could play in New Zealand,” he said.
-
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child