High tax collection expected from cigarette sector
Islamabad : A network of academic researchers and professionals has stated that the government is expecting to collect over Rs220 billion through the Federal Excise Duty imposed on sale of cigarettes in the country.
The network had made this projection about tax collection when the former prime minister Shahbaz Sharif took the decision of increasing FED on cigarettes. In a recent statement, it lamented that multinational cigarette manufacturers had been constantly creating misunderstandings about the FED increase for its own advantage.
It said the former PM was not influenced by these tactics as he knew that the cost of health expenditure borne on tobacco-caused diseases is unacceptable by any country, not least when compounded by the tragedy of loss of human lives.
The network, however, states that the FED is too little, too late. It says that taxes on cigarettes has to be in line with the guidelines set by the World Health Organization (WHO) and should be revised upwards regularly.
It says the possibilities of illicit trade in cigarettes is negligible after introduction of track and trace system. It says that since 2014, multinational tobacco companies have been constantly claiming that 40% of cigarettes in the market are illicit. However, some non-government organizations have conducted independent survey to find that this figure is heavily flawed and in reality the magnitude of illicit trade has been reduced to being negligible after the imposition of track and trace system.
Representatives of an NGO state that multinational cigarette manufacturers are deliberately spreading the propaganda in the market that volume of illicit trade is increasing after the rise in taxes on cigarettes, which is a blatant attempt at pressuring the government for the benefit of multinational cigarette manufacturers.
He said that the increase in FED has resulted in significant decrease in smoking, adding that the health cost of cigarette-caused diseases is estimated to come down to $1 billion from $3 billion.
The multinationals claim that their sale has been affected because of the increase in FED. This is exactly the purpose of regular increases in FED so that smoker numbers are reduced. The multinationals make a huge assumption that instead of smokers quitting smoking, they start smoking illicit cigarette. This has no factual basis because multinationals count all cigarette quitters as having switched to another cigarette brand. With the increase in cigarette prices, the smuggled cigarettes which were previously available in the market have also become more expensive. Despite the claims of 40% and above illicit cigarettes by the multinationals, the reality remains that illicit cigarettes share remains low. He said that majority of the smuggled cigarettes belong to multinational cigarette companies.
-
Timothée Chalamet Reveals Rare Impact Of Not Attending Acting School On Career -
Liza Minnelli Gets Candid About Her Struggles With Substance Abuse Post Death Of Mum Judy Garland -
'Saturday Night Live' Star Will Forte Reveals How He Feels About Returning To The Show After 2010 Exit -
Police Officer Arrested Over Alleged Assault Hours After Oath-taking -
Prince William Issues 'ultimatum' To Queen Camilla As Monarchy Is In 'delicate Phase' -
Maxwell Seeks To Block Further Release Of Epstein Files, Calls Law ‘unconstitutional’ -
Winter Olympics 2026: Remembering The Most Unforgettable, Heartwarming Stories -
King Charles Hands All Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Records And Files To Police: Report -
Eric Dane's Family Shares Heartbreaking Statement After His Death -
Samsung Brings Perplexity AI To Galaxy S26 With ‘Hey Plex’ Voice Command -
Fergie’s Spent £13,000 A Day Since Andrew’s Troubles Started: Here’s Where She Fled -
Eric Dane's Death Becomes Symbol Of ALS Awareness -
Michael B. Jordan Gives Credit To 'All My Children' For Shaping His Career: 'That Was My Education' -
Sun Appears Spotless For First Time In Four Years, Scientists Report -
Bella Hadid Opens Up About 'invisible Illness' -
Lawyer Of Epstein Victims Speaks Out Directly To King Charles, Prince William, Kate Middleton