Hoffenheim to be member-run after Hopp returns voting rights
BERLIN: Bundesliga side Hoffenheim will again be compliant with German football’s ‘50+1’ ownership rule, after club benefactor Dietmar Hopp announced on Wednesday he is returning his voting rights.
The rule, nicknamed 50+1 and enshrined in the German FA (DFB) regulations, requires that all Bundesliga clubs wholly or partly own the team, thereby ruling out external or foreign control.
Hoffenheim was one of three clubs to have received an exception to this rule alongside Volkswagen-controlled Wolfsburg and Bayer-controlled Leverkusen.
In a statement published on the club’s website on Tuesday, Hopp said he was always in favour of club rather than owner control and had “acted in the spirit of 50+1”.
“It was never about power for me,” said Hopp, who co-founded German software giant SAP. “Our special status was never used to undermine or avoid this regulation.
“The 50+1 regulation, which I have always supported, is a high asset in German football.”
The billionaire, who grew up in the region and played for Hoffenheim as a teenager, is a long-time financial supporter of the side.
The 50+1 rule, unique among the major European leagues, is wildly popular among German football fans but has come up for criticism recently.
The German Federal Cartel Office has previously indicated support for the regulation but has criticised the exception.
The DFB has previously said it was hoping to find a solution to the issue by the end of March.
Earlier in February, former Bayern Munich CEO and current board member Uli Hoeness called for the DFB to scrap the rule to allow for further outside investment so that German clubs could compete with other European heavyweights.
Speaking on behalf of Bayern, Hoeness said “we would be totally in favour of scrapping the 50+1 because we are totally falling behind internationally.”
Bayern, who currently sit atop the league table, have won the last ten Bundesliga titles in succession and have lifted the Champions League trophy twice in that time.
-
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful' -
Jemma Chan Reflects On 'difficult Subject Matter' Portrayed In 'Josephine' -
Blood Falls In Antarctica? What Causes The Mysterious Red Waterfall Hidden In Ice -
AI Power Play: Nvidia Moves To Invest $30 Billion In OpenAI -
Will Savannah Guthrie Ever Return To 'Today' Show? Here's What Insiders Predict -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor In A Fix Over New Disturbing TMZ Photos -
Eric Dane Opened Up About Releasing His Memoir Just Two Months Before His Death Due To ALS Complications -
Zendaya, Tom Holland Already Married? Actress Shows Off New Ring -
King Charles Holds Emergency Meeting After Andrew Arrest: 'Abdication Is Not Happening' -
Amazon Can Be Sued Over Sodium Nitrite Suicide Cases, US Court Rules -
'Vikings' Star Mourns Eric Dane's Death -
Patrick Dempsey Reveals Eric Dane's Condition In Final Days Before Death