Out this week
- Circles by Mac Miller: Sixth and final studio album by the late American rapper; was intended to be a companion album to Swimming (2018); led by the single ‘Good News’.
- Dolittle (starring Robert Downey Jr., Antonio Banderas, Michael Sheen, Emma Thompson) – fantasy comedy, based primarily on Hugh Lofting’s 1922 book The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle; a doctor (Downey Jr.), who discovers he can talk to animals, sets off on an adventure to a mythical island, searching for a cure for the Queen’s illness.
- Bad Boys for Life (starring Will Smith, Martin Lawrence, Vanessa Hudgens) – action comedy, third instalment in the Bad Boys trilogy; Mike Lowrey (Smith) and Marcus Burnett (Lawrence) reunite to face a fierce mob boss.
Critics’ Choice Awards
- Best picture: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
- Director: Sam Mendes, 1917, and Bong Joon-ho, Parasite (tie)
- Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
- Actress: Renée Zellweger, Judy
- Supporting actor: Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
- Supporting actress: Laura Dern, Marriage Story
- Acting ensemble: The Irishman
- Animated feature: Toy Story 4
- Foreign language film: Parasite (South Korea)
- TV movie: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
- Limited series: When They See Us
- Drama: Succession
- Comedy: Fleabag
- Animated: BoJack Horseman
- Actor, TV movie/limited series: Jharrel Jerome, When They See Us
- Actress, TV movie/limited series: Michelle Williams, Fosse/Verdon
For the complete list of winners, visit: criticschoice.com/critics-choice-awards
Cast: James Corden, Judi Dench, Jason Derulo, Idris Elba, Jennifer Hudson, Ian McKellen, Taylor Swift, Rebel Wilson, Francesca Hayward
Director: Tom Hooper
Tagline: You will believe.
- Fantasy musical; a tribe of cats compete to choose the one who will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and get a new life.
- Based on the Andrew Lloyd Webber stage musical, which was itself based on T. S. Eliot Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats (1939).
- Has made around $58 million on a $90 million budget, bombing at the box office.
- Has generated extremely negative reviews, receiving criticism for every element of the film, with some describing it as the worst of the year.
- The film’s original release contained numerous CGI errors and glitches. A modified version was then made available to cinemas.
- Music composed by Webber.