Out this week
- Reputation by Taylor Swift: Sixth album by the pop singer; comes after 2014’s 1989; includes the songs ‘Look What You Made Me Do’, ‘...Ready for It?’, ‘Gorgeous’, and ‘Call It What You Want’.
- Also out this week: Synthesis, the fourth record by Evanescence; Irish pop group The Corrs’ seventh album Jupiter Calling; and pop rock band Walk the Moon’s third release, What If Nothing.
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (starring Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell) - comedy; a mother (McDormand) challenges the local authorities to solve her daughter’s murder.
- Paddington 2 (starring Hugh Bonneville, Sally Hawkins, Brendan Gleeson, Julie Walters, Ben Whishaw) - comedy, sequel to 2014’s Paddington; Paddington (Whishaw) and the Browns try to apprehend the thief who stole a pop-up book.
- Daddy’s Home 2 (starring Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, Mel Gibson, John Lithgow) - comedy, sequel to Daddy’s Home (2015); Brad and Dusty (Ferrell and Wahlberg), now co-parenting the latter’s kids, have to deal with their fathers (Lithgow and Gibson) visiting for the holidays.
- Murder on the Orient Express (starring Kenneth Branagh, Penelope Cruz, Willem Dafoe, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp) - drama, fourth adaptation of the 1934 Agatha Christie novel; when a fellow passenger (Depp) is found stabbed to death on a train, detective Hercule Poirot (Branagh) finds himself looking into a complex case.
- Bette Midler (@BetteMidler): I hated that Hocus Pocus wig at the time, but after staring at Trump’s hair for 18 months, it honestly looks not that bad.
- Josh Groban (@joshgroban): Who needs drugs when you can just wear glasses that aren’t your prescription.
- Whitney Cummings (@WhitneyCummings): I’m very worried that I’m losing the ability to be shocked.
Taron David Egerton
- Born on 10th November 1989 in Birkenhead, Merseyside, United Kingdom.
- Got his first name after his mother misspelled the Welsh word “Taran” which means thunder.
- Was raised in Wales.
- Earned a bachelor’s degree in acting from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in 2012.
- Made his acting debut with a small role in the British television series Lewis (2013) before getting a main role in the series The Smoke (2014).
- Got his breakthrough with a leading part in Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) and its subsequent sequel Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017).
- Has also appeared in the films Legend (2015) and Eddie the Eagle (2016).
- Upcoming projects include starring roles in the films Billionaire Boys Club (2018) and Robin Hood (2018).
Also born today: Zoey Deutch, Josh Peck, Miranda Lambert, Heather Matarazzo, David Paetkau, Brittany Murphy, Ellen Pompeo, Hugh Bonneville, Neil Gaiman, Mackenzie Phillips
Cast: Gerard Butler, Abbie Cornish, Alexandra Lara, Jim Sturgess, Amr Waked, Ed Harris, Andy Garc’a
Director: Dean Devlin
Tagline: Brave the storm.
- Sci-fi thriller; a satellite designer (Butler) tries to save the world from a massive storm caused by malfunctioning climate-controlling satellites.
- Had a budget of $120 million; has made around $182 million in nearly three weeks.
- Has received very negative reviews from critics, who found the film silly and lacklustre.
- Is Dean Devlin’s feature directorial debut.
- Underwent reshoots at a late stage under Jerry Bruckheimer after poor test screenings.
- Score composed by Lorne Balfe.