TURKEY/BEIRUT: Russian and Syrian government forces on Saturday intensified an assault on rebel-held areas around the Syrian city of Aleppo that has prompted tens of thousands to seek refuge across the border in Turkey.
The assault around Aleppo, which aid workers have said could soon fall to government forces, helped to torpedo Syrian peace talks in Geneva this week.
Russia´s intervention has tipped the balance of the war in favour of President Bashar al-Assad, reversing gains the rebels made last year.
Any hopes of a ceasefire were dampened by Assad´s foreign minister, who said it would be all but impossible to stop the fighting while rebels were able to pass freely across the
borders with Turkey and Jordan.
Taking full control of Aleppo, Syria´s largest city before the civil war erupted five years ago, would be a huge strategic prize for Assad´s government in a conflict that has killed at least 250,000 people and driven 11 million from their homes.
Advances by the Syrian army and allied militias, including Iranian fighters, are threatening to cut off rebel-held zones of the city, still home to around 350,000 people, while more than a million live in government-controlled areas.
Mevlut Cavusoglu, foreign minister of Turkey, which has already taken in 2.5 million Syrians, said up to 55,000 were now fleeing to the frontier.
Cavusoglu said the border was open, but at the Oncupinar crossing near the Turkish city of Kilis, which has been largely shut for nearly a year, refugees were being shepherded into camps on the Syrian side.
-
Murder suspect kills himself after woman found dead in Missouri
-
Poll reveals majority of Americans' views on Bad Bunny
-
Man convicted after DNA links him to 20-year-old rape case
-
California cop accused of using bogus 911 calls to reach ex-partner
-
'Elderly' nanny arrested by ICE outside employer's home, freed after judge's order
-
key details from Germany's multimillion-euro heist revealed
-
Search for Savannah Guthrie’s abducted mom enters unthinkable phase
-
Barack Obama addresses UFO mystery: Aliens are ‘real’ but debunks Area 51 conspiracy theories