No apology for Kashmir remarks: Mahathir
ISLAMABAD: Former Malaysian prime minister Mahathir Mohamad Saturday said despite knowing potential backlash, he had spoken in support of Kashmiri people in the United Nations General Assembly last year for what he would offer no apology.
I had chosen to speak out despite being aware of the potential backlash.
“To my mind, keeping quiet is not an option. I offer no apology for what I had said,” Mahathir said addressing an event held in Kuala Lumpur to mark a year of military siege of Indian Occupied Jammu and Kashmir.
Dr Mahathir also shared some key points of the address on his Twitter handle, which rubbished the impression created by multiple Indian media outlets on Saturday as the Malaysian leader felt any remorse over his remarks in support of the Kashmiri people for its adverse impact on Malaysian exports.
Putting to rest Indian media assertions, he said though his remarks had affected Malaysian palm oil export to India, he does not know if that was a high price to pay for speaking out against such injustices.
During his last year’s address in the United Nations General Assembly, Dr Mahathir Mohamad said, despite UN resolution on Jammu and Kashmir, the country had been invaded and occupied.
There may be reasons for this action but it is still wrong.
He had called for resolution of the issue by peaceful means.
"India should work with Pakistan to resolve this problem. Ignoring the UN would lead to other forms of disregard for the UN and the Rule of Law,” he had remarked in the UN.
Addressing the event, he said all the telltale signs were pointing towards another situation whereby a big and powerful country imposed its will with impunity on a small and defenceless nation.
Mahathir, once world’s longest serving elected leader, said it was transpired from his contentious speech in the UN last year that what he had said there was mild and to a certain degree, restrained.
“Now that I am no more the prime minister, I take it that I can now speak without restrain and address the Kashmir issue without threats of boycotts and such,” he remarked.
-
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens -
Director Beth De Araujo Alludes To Andrew's Arrest During Child Trauma Talk -
Video Of Andrew 'consoling' Eugenie Resurfaces After Release From Police Custody -
'Harry Potter' Alum Daniel Radcliffe Gushes About Unique Work Ethic Of Late Co Star Michael Gambon -
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child