Badminton star Momota feared career was over after deadly crash
TOKYO: Japan’s badminton king Kento Momota said he was again dreaming of Tokyo Olympics gold on Friday but didn’t know when he’d return to action after a car crash that left him fearing his career was over.
The world number one admitted his “spirit was almost broken” after the accident in January — hours after he won the Malaysia Masters — which killed the driver of the vehicle taking him to Kuala Lumpur airport.
Momota, 25, had been expected to be out for two months but he needed surgery for an eye socket fracture in February, dashing plans to return for this month’s All England Championships.
“I thought about it. How long will it take?” he said, when asked if he had been worried that he might never play again. “There were times when my spirit was almost broken.” Momota, who missed the 2016 Olympics after he was suspended for visiting an illegal casino, is now back in training but doesn’t know when he’ll be compete again.
“Of course, the Tokyo Olympics is on my mind,” he told reporters in Tokyo. “I have received support from so many people and received such passionate words of encouragement that now, I feel that I really want to go for the gold at the Tokyo Olympics.”
Momota added: “I feel I am regaining the sharpness of my body and movements. “The issue I have to tackle now is that whenever I’m on the court, I want to get into the action. I have to make sure I take it easy.”
Coming off a year in which he captured a record 11 titles, Momota had looked set to go into Tokyo 2020 as the overwhelming favourite to win men’s singles Olympic gold. But his preparations were dealt a blow when he was injured in the crash in Kuala Lumpur, suffering cuts and heavy bruising after the vehicle he was travelling in collided with a lorry.
Momota said the recovery process had been difficult. “I have never been away from badminton for so long. I am very much enjoying hitting shuttlecocks. I’m having very fulfilling practices again,” he said.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France