Trump says Aaron Lukas will serve as acting director of National Intelligence following Tulsi Gabbard's resignation
Donald Trump confirms Aaron Lukas, currently serving as principal deputy director of national intelligence, will temporarily lead the agency following Tulsi Gabbard’s exit from the administration
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday that Tulsi Gabbard's deputy, Aaron Lukas, would become the acting director of national intelligence after she leaves the administration on June 30.
"Tulsi has done an incredible job, and we will miss her," Trump said in a Truth Social post in which he attributed Gabbard's impending departure to the illness of her husband.
The decision follows as Tulsi Gabbard resigns as Trump's top US intelligence official.
Tulsi Gabbard said on Friday she is resigning from her job as President Donald Trump's director of national intelligence, saying her husband had been diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer and that she was stepping away from her role to help him.
Gabbard advised Trump of her intention to step down during an Oval Office meeting on Friday, Fox News Digital reported earlier. The resignation is effective June 30, it said.
A source familiar with the matter said that Gabbard had been forced out by the White House.
In her resignation letter posted on X, Gabbard told Trump she was "deeply grateful for the trust you placed in me and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the last year and a half."
She cited her husband's recent diagnosis with a rare form of bone cancer.
"I cannot in good conscience ask him to face this fight alone while I continue in this demanding and time-consuming post," she said.
In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said the principal deputy director of National Intelligence, Aaron Lukas, would serve as acting director of national intelligence.
Trump has hinted in the past at differences with Gabbard on their approach to Iran, saying in March that she was "softer" than him on curbing Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.
Trump recently wrote at Truth Social, He said Gabbard had done "a great job" but with her husband diagnosed with bone cancer, "she, rightfully, wants to be with him, bringing him back to good health as they currently fight a tough battle together."
-
China to send two more pandas to US to strengthen US-China ties
-
Mayor Mamdani launches 'Twitch Show' to interact with New Yorkers
-
RIAT 2026: Middle East conflict forces air show cancellation
-
Nancy Guthrie case: Bone discovery sparks major online interference in her disappearance
-
NATO responds after Trump announces to deploy additional 5,000 troops to Poland
-
House Republicans cancel vote to rein in Trump’s military campaign in Iran
-
Ebola treatment center attacked by angry protesters in Congo
-
US Navy division awards $75m contract for submarine combat control program
-
Why Donald Trump Jr. chose private Bahamas Island wedding amid questions over Trump’s attendance
-
‘We were lucky’: Stephen Colbert bids emotional farewell in final broadcast on Thursday
-
How Vanessa Trump is facing cancer with Tiger Woods' support?
-
Alberta MLAs approve petition asking if province should remain in Canada
