close
Saturday May 18, 2024

10 schoolkids fall unconscious due to generator’s smoke

By Our Correspondent
April 17, 2024
View of the site at the school building after a fire broke out at the incident in Hijrat Colony, Karachi on April 16, 2024. — PPI
View of the site at the school building after a fire broke out at the incident in Hijrat Colony, Karachi on April 16, 2024. — PPI 

Ten children fainted due to smoke from a generator in a private school located in Hijrat Colony on Tuesday. Following the incident, police and ambulances from welfare orgnaisaitons reached the school and started a rescue operation. The children were taken to hospital for medical treatment where their condition was said to be out of danger.

Police said a generator caused smoke in the school. The Directorate of Private Institutions took notice of the incident, following which a team from the Directorate left to inspect the school. Qurban Ali Bhutto, director of the Private Schools Association, spoke to the media. The school has been registered with the association since 2000.

As soon as the incident occurred, under Rafia Mallah’s instructions, we inspected the school, Bhutto said and added that the school was established in a slum area, where over 700 children were enrolled.

Due to lack of a cooling system and the heat, children became unwell. After conducting an inspection, a report will be submitted to the relevant authorities for further action. “We immediately reached the scene upon learning of the children’s condition,” said the Civil Lines SHO Shahid Hussain. “The condition of three children was serious and they were provided medical assistance at nearby hospitals.” Legal action will be taken upon registration of a complaint, said the officer. The residents of the area demanded the end of the prolong loadshedding in the area to avoid any such incidents.