close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

Sports

Web Desk
November 21, 2020

UFC champion Khabib Nurmagomedov says no plan to return to ring

Sports

Web Desk
Sat, Nov 21, 2020

MOSCOW: Retired mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov has said that he had no plans of returning to fighting, in an interview with RT Sport.

Khabib's statement came just a day after UFC President Dana White said he expects the Russian to unretire sometime in the future and even discussed potential matchups.

Khabib ended his fighting career last month after his win over Justin Gaethje, improving his record to an unblemished 29-0. Still just 32, the fans, media personnel and UFC officials - including White - have a hunch that he would eventually have a change of heart.

The former fighter, however, is adamant that he will stick to his decision.

"I have no plans to continue fighting," said Khabib, adding: "There will always be rumors about my comeback because Dana White or other promoters who could replace him in the future will always want me to fight."

By leaving the business in his prime, Khabib is leaving millions of dollars on the table but he says wealth was never the primary reasons why he fought.

"Of course, I am in my prime and there’s still tons of money I could earn, but I had a different goal," he said. "My goal was to reach the summit and I did it."

He did not seem concerned about his finances, saying: "As for money, from now on we will earn it somewhere else."