Three held over UK truck deaths freed on police bail
Three suspects arrested in Britain over the deaths of 39 people found in a refrigerated truck
Three suspects arrested in Britain over the deaths of 39 people found in a refrigerated truck have been released on bail, police said Sunday.
They are a man and woman, both 38, from Warrington in northwest England, and a 46-year-old Northern Irish man who had been held at London's Stansted Airport.
They were arrested two days after the bodies of eight women and 31 men were discovered Wednesday in a truck in an industrial zone in Grays in Essex, southeast England.
Police initially said the victims — believed to have arrived on a ferry from the Belgian port of Zeebrugge — were Chinese, but later retracted this and now many are feared to be Vietnamese.
The three suspects were questioned on suspicion of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people.
Police have charged the driver of the truck, Maurice Robinson, with 39 counts of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people.
The 25-year-old from Northern Ireland, who also faces charges of conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration and money laundering, will appear in court on Monday.
Another Northern Irish man was also arrested in Dublin on Saturday.
-
OpenClaw founder Peter Steinberger hired by OpenAI as AI agent race heats up
-
Chinese New Year explained: All you need to know about the Year of the Horse
-
Canadian passport holders can now travel to China visa-free: Here's how
-
Edmonton weather warning: Up to 30 cm of snow possible in parts of Alberta
-
ICE agents 'fake car trouble' to arrest Minnesota man, family says
-
China confirms visa-free travel for UK, Canada nationals
-
Bad Bunny's star power explodes tourism searches for his hometown
-
Murder suspect kills himself after woman found dead in Missouri