close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

World

AFP
October 3, 2019

Occupied Kashmir: Journalists protest two-month 'blackout'

World

AFP
Thu, Oct 03, 2019
The internet and mobile phones have been cut in Occupied Kashmir.Photo: AFP

SRINAGAR: Journalists in Indian Occupied Kashmir on Thursday protested a two-month old communications blackout that they said is making their jobs virtually impossible.

The internet and mobile phones have been cut in most of the Kashmir Valley, a hotbed of resistance to Indian rule, since August 5 when New Delhi rescinded the region´s autonomy.

To go online, the area´s 250 accredited journalists visit a government-run media centre in the main city of Srinagar where they wait often for hours to use one of the 10 computers for a maximum of 15 minutes.

"We are protesting against the press gag that the fraternity has faced," said Shuja ul Haq, president of the Kashmir Press Club, one of around 160 journalists at the demonstration.

"Every journalist has suffered and we demand from the government that the communications blackout be lifted," he said before a silent protest march.

There are no landlines at the media centre. To use the one mobile phone, journalists must put their names on a list. They say that the computers are being monitored and that the internet is painfully slow.

There are also restrictions on movement for journalists, particularly in rural areas.

Foreign journalists have been denied permission to visit the northern Himalayan region.

Because of what journalists say is government pressure, Kashmiri newspapers mostly publish only government handout statements, light-hearted human interest stories and practically nothing from outside Srinagar.

New Delhi stripped Occupied Kashmir of its autonomy on August 5, sending in tens of thousands of extra troops and detaining thousands of people including minors as young as nine.

Almost two months on, many of the region´s top politicians remain in custody and while landlines have been restored, mobile phones and the internet remain snapped in most areas.

UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet said last month she was "deeply concerned" while Washington has called for a "rapid" lifting of restrictions.