close
Advertisement
Can't connect right now! retry

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

add The News to homescreen

tap to bring up your browser menu and select 'Add to homescreen' to pin the The News web app

Got it!

World

AFP
October 3, 2019

Iran says thwarts attack on top commander

World

AFP
Thu, Oct 03, 2019
Qassem Soleimani-File photo

TEHRAN: Iran´s Revolutionary Guards announced Thursday the arrest of three "terrorists" accused of plotting an attack against senior commander Qassem Soleimani.

The suspects "were sent abroad" and "large sums of money were spent to train them and prepare them" to carry out an attack against Soleimani, the Guards´ official website Sepahnews said.

Soleimani heads the Guards´ elite Quds Force, which runs foreign operations, and is regarded as the mastermind of Iran´s military strategy in the region.

Sepahnews, citing the Guards´ intelligence chief Hossein Taeb, said the three were planning an attack against Soleimani during a religious ceremony in southern Iran.

They had dug a tunnel underneath a  holy site in the city of Kerman that belongs to Soleimani´s father and rigged it with "350 to 500 kilogrammes (770-1,100 pounds) of explosives", he said.

The suspects, whose identities were not revealed, had been on the radar of the Guards for a long time and were arrested as they plotted the attack, he added.