Royals

Buckingham Palace handed reforms to restore moral authority after Andrew debacle

The Palace has just been handed a plan to ‘protect’ the Firm from Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s effects

Published May 22, 2026
Buckingham Palace handed reforms to restore moral authority after Andrew debacle

Ex Prince Andrew’s unofficial biographer just came in guns blazing with a few choice thoughts about what he thinks is the only way for the Firm to continue flourishing, and correct the stigma associated with it because of the Yorks.

He penned the entire process in a piece for the i Paper. According to the author of Entitled, the book that first exposed Andrew’s past antis, “the moral authority can be restored, but only if a series of reforms are quickly introduced by both the Palace and the Government.”

Advertisement

First, “they include: proper parliamentary oversight,” the author said. “The introduction of a royal register like the ones for MPs which would show the business activities of members such as Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie which was floated 20 years ago.”

Next the unsealing of royal wills, has to follow, he believes, “which had until the last century been open.”

Next should come the “removal of the royal exemption in the Freedom of Information Act which had been part of the initial discussions. The opening of all royal archives to public scrutiny subject to existing exemptions.”

Moreover Mr Lownie feels “the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall to be brought into public ownership and subject to the same laws as other business organisations, such as revealing tax paid and subject to capital gains and inheritance tax, and so on,” should also happen.

“The end of King’s and Prince’s consent to shape legislation before it hits the statute book,” is also a key thing that the author mentions. Furthermore an audit of Crown Estate properties should also start “to ensure market rents are enforced.” Alongside “a full inventory of the Royal Collection Trust and a proper register of royal gifts under whatever auspices they are given.”

“I also believe there should be a parliamentary enquiry with the former foreign secretaries, heads of UKTI, ambassadors to Central Asian republics, etc – most of whom refused to talk to me – compelled to testify under oath on exactly what happened in the decade Andrew allegedly exploited his public position for private gain,” he added.

After all Andrew is said to have been ‘enabled’ by a “whole host of politicians, diplomats and civil servants,” as he puts it. “The Government should be releasing all the files on Andrew’s time as trade envoy so we can see who accompanied him, where he stayed, with whom he did business and they should be answering the parliamentary questions which I know are being asked in both Houses of Parliament by respected politicians.”

Before concluding he admitted, “only with such reforms can the monarchy flourish, and would the stigma associated with it be corrected. Above all the royal family need to come clean about what they knew about the York activities and what they did about them. If they have nothing to hide, then they have nothing to fear.”

H. Anjum
H. Anjum is a News Editor at The News International (Digital) with over five years of newsroom experience. She is a media graduate specialising in British royal coverage, reporting on monarchies, traditions, and modern royal life. She also writes on fashion, movies and TV shows with contemporary relevance for a global audience.
Share this story: