Mumbai doctor conned out of INR700,000 by deep-fake video featuring Mukesh Ambani
Mukesh Ambani, in purported video, urged people to join BCF Academy to earn high returns on investments
A doctor in Mumbai was conned out of INR700,000 by fraudsters who lured her with a deep-fake video featuring India's richest man Mukesh Ambani.
The victim, KH Patil, who is a 54-year-old Ayurvedic practitioner, fell prey to the scam after seeing the video on Instagram.
As per her statement, in the video, Ambani promoted a trading company named Rajiv Sharma Trade Group, which had done exceptionally well. Ambani in the video urged people to join BCF Academy to earn high returns on investments.
Patil researched the company online and found legitimate information about it, such as offices in London and Bandra Kurla, which convinced her of its legitimacy.
Later, Patil contacted the company online and invested a total of INR710,000 between May and June.
In the first information report (FIR), the doctor said that the company provided her with an account that allowed her to track her investments, adding to the legality of the business.
The online portal showed her profit of INR3 million.
However, later, when Patil tried withdrawing the amount, she was unable to do so. Realising she had been cheated, she quickly filed a complaint with the police.
The case has been registered, and police are investigating it in coordination with the bank.
This is not the first case of an AI-generated video making rounds on the internet, earlier a deep-fake of actor Scarlett Johansson went viral too.
-
China's to debut AI-focused 'Supply Chain Expo 2026' in June
-
Trump says Aaron Lukas will serve as acting director of National Intelligence following Tulsi Gabbard's resignation
-
China to send two more pandas to US to strengthen US-China ties
-
Mayor Mamdani launches 'Twitch Show' to interact with New Yorkers
-
RIAT 2026: Middle East conflict forces air show cancellation
-
Nancy Guthrie case: Bone discovery sparks major online interference in her disappearance
-
NATO responds after Trump announces to deploy additional 5,000 troops to Poland
-
House Republicans cancel vote to rein in Trump’s military campaign in Iran
-
Ebola treatment center attacked by angry protesters in Congo
-
US Navy division awards $75m contract for submarine combat control program
-
Why Donald Trump Jr. chose private Bahamas Island wedding amid questions over Trump’s attendance
-
‘We were lucky’: Stephen Colbert bids emotional farewell in final broadcast on Thursday