Beijing sees record COVID cases as China outbreak spirals
More than 28,000 new infections were reported nationwide, nearing the record high since the pandemic began
BEIJING: China's capital Beijing posted a record number of new COVID cases on Tuesday, with the city hunkering down under a tightening chokehold of restrictions that have sent schools online, closed many restaurants and forced employees to work from home.
More than 28,000 new infections were reported nationwide — nearing the record high since the pandemic began — with Guangdong province and the city of Chongqing logging over 16,000 and 6,300 cases respectively, health authorities said.
New cases in Beijing have also jumped in recent days, more than doubling from 621 on Sunday to Tuesday's 1,438 — a pandemic record for the city.
The last major economy still welded to a zero-tolerance COVID policy, China enforced snap lockdowns, mass testing and quarantines to control outbreaks to great success in the earlier stages of the pandemic.
But the latest spiralling outbreak is testing the limits of that playbook, with officials keen to avoid citywide lockdowns like Shanghai´s two-month ordeal in April, which marred the finance hub's economy and international image.
Three elderly Beijing residents with underlying diseases died from COVID over the weekend, authorities said, marking China's first COVID deaths since May.
While the capital has so far avoided a blanket shutdown, there have been widely enforced snap lockdowns of individual buildings and long PCR testing queues due to the requirement for a 24-hour negative test for entry to most public spaces.
Over the weekend, authorities advised residents to stay and home and not travel between districts. And on Monday required travellers to the city to test more times after they arrive.
Many tourist attractions, gyms and parks have been closed, with large-scale events such as concerts cancelled.
China declared its most significant easing of coronavirus measures to date on November 11, billed as an "optimisation" to limit the economic and social impact of zero-COVID measures.
Among the steps was a reduction of compulsory quarantine times for international arrivals.
Multiple Chinese cities cancelled mass COVID testing last week but some later reinstated them, underlining the difficulty of controlling the fast-spreading Omicron variant.
Shijiazhuang, which had previously cancelled mass testing, began a partial lockdown Monday after cases surged, while several districts of southern epicentre Guangzhou also locked down the same day.
The limited relaxation has not marked a reversal of zero-COVID, which has left China internationally isolated, wreaked havoc on the economy, and sparked protests in a country where dissent is routinely crushed.
-
Scientists identify cancer-linked chemicals in everyday foods
-
New study finds simple way to ease arthritis pain without medication or surgery
-
China's to debut AI-focused 'Supply Chain Expo 2026' in June
-
Trump says Aaron Lukas will serve as acting director of National Intelligence following Tulsi Gabbard's resignation
-
China to send two more pandas to US to strengthen US-China ties
-
Mayor Mamdani launches 'Twitch Show' to interact with New Yorkers
-
‘Don’t ignore the threat’: WHO warns of Ebola spread across Africa
-
RIAT 2026: Middle East conflict forces air show cancellation
-
Nancy Guthrie case: Bone discovery sparks major online interference in her disappearance
-
NATO responds after Trump announces to deploy additional 5,000 troops to Poland
-
House Republicans cancel vote to rein in Trump’s military campaign in Iran
-
Ebola treatment center attacked by angry protesters in Congo