Opposition fails to build consensus on Senate tickets
KP Assembly
By our correspondents
March 03, 2015
PESHAWAR: The combined opposition in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly on Monday failed to build consensus on Senate tickets as their meetings remained inconclusive with regard to finalising candidates for the March 5 Senate elections.
A meeting of all the five opposition parties, including Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F), Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), Qaumi Watan Party (QWP), Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) and Awami National Party (ANP) was held at the opposition chamber in the provincial assembly.
The meeting was attended by JUI-F’s Maulana Lutufur Rahman and Maulana Attaur Rahman, ANP’s Senator Haji Muhammad Adeel, Mian Iftikhar Hussain, Sardar Hussain Babak and Jaffar Shah, QWP’s Sikandar Sherpao, PML-N’s Aurangzaib Nalotha, and Javed Abbasi, and PPP’s Nighat Orakzai and Muhammad Ali Shah Bacha.
The deadlock persisted even after the hours-long deliberations. It was decided to hold another session of the meeting later in the evening. As the representatives of the PML-N and QWP did not attend the evening meeting, it was decided to hold another sitting today (Tuesday).
Talking to reporters after the meeting, opposition leader Maulana Lutfur Rahman said that so far the joint opposition had failed to adopt a joint strategy. However, he said there was some progress and another meeting would be held to decide the issue.He said the leaders of PML-N and QWP had to make consultation with senior leadership.
Sources told The News that the JUI-F and PML-N impeded finalisation of the candidates’ list. Both wanted two seats each, while the other parties which have lesser representation in the provincial assembly stressed the need for one berth for each of the five opposition parties.
Mian Iftikhar, while talking to media, said that different proposals came under discussion in the marathon meeting but they failed to reach a final decision. He said more meetings would be held. He said best solution for all the parties was that each one should be allotted one Senate seat. He said the ANP was interested in fielding candidate for the reserved seat for technocrats. “However, if the allied parties wanted the ANP to contest for the women’s seat, we would accept the proposal,” he added. He made it clear that the final decision was yet to be made.
A meeting of all the five opposition parties, including Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F), Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), Qaumi Watan Party (QWP), Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) and Awami National Party (ANP) was held at the opposition chamber in the provincial assembly.
The meeting was attended by JUI-F’s Maulana Lutufur Rahman and Maulana Attaur Rahman, ANP’s Senator Haji Muhammad Adeel, Mian Iftikhar Hussain, Sardar Hussain Babak and Jaffar Shah, QWP’s Sikandar Sherpao, PML-N’s Aurangzaib Nalotha, and Javed Abbasi, and PPP’s Nighat Orakzai and Muhammad Ali Shah Bacha.
The deadlock persisted even after the hours-long deliberations. It was decided to hold another session of the meeting later in the evening. As the representatives of the PML-N and QWP did not attend the evening meeting, it was decided to hold another sitting today (Tuesday).
Talking to reporters after the meeting, opposition leader Maulana Lutfur Rahman said that so far the joint opposition had failed to adopt a joint strategy. However, he said there was some progress and another meeting would be held to decide the issue.He said the leaders of PML-N and QWP had to make consultation with senior leadership.
Sources told The News that the JUI-F and PML-N impeded finalisation of the candidates’ list. Both wanted two seats each, while the other parties which have lesser representation in the provincial assembly stressed the need for one berth for each of the five opposition parties.
Mian Iftikhar, while talking to media, said that different proposals came under discussion in the marathon meeting but they failed to reach a final decision. He said more meetings would be held. He said best solution for all the parties was that each one should be allotted one Senate seat. He said the ANP was interested in fielding candidate for the reserved seat for technocrats. “However, if the allied parties wanted the ANP to contest for the women’s seat, we would accept the proposal,” he added. He made it clear that the final decision was yet to be made.
-
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis