Lee out of World Badminton, Asian Games
KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian badminton star Lee Chong Wei has pulled out of the World Badminton Championships and Asian Games because of a respiratory illness, officials said Wednesday, after a gruelling schedule in recent months.
The world number two has been advised to rest and undergo treatment after competing in nine tournaments so far this year.
The week-long World Championships in Nanjing, China, begin on Monday while the Asian Games in Indonesia are from August 18 to September 2.
“(Lee) is unwell and suffering from a respiratory related disorder,” the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) said in a statement.
“For the time being, he cannot undergo any intensive physical activity for a period of at least one month and therefore we have to withdraw Lee from his participation at the BWF World Championships... and the Asian Games.”
BAM did not give any further details about the three-time Olympic silver medallist’s illness.
Speculation had been mounting over the past week about the 35-year-old’s health after he failed to show up for training.
The development is a blow for the former world number one, who has never won gold at either the World Championships or the Asian Games during a stellar 17-year career.
His achievements this year include winning the men´s singles gold at the Commonwealth Games and clinching his 12th Malaysian Open title.
BAM president Norza Zakaria said he had met Lee and supports his decision to rest.
“We do not want the pressure of competition to impose a toll on his health. We look forward to his return to competition, he said.
-
'It Takes Two' Rapper Rob Base Passes Away At 59 -
Scientists Identify Cancer-linked Chemicals In Everyday Foods -
New Study Finds Simple Way To Ease Arthritis Pain Without Medication Or Surgery -
Niall Horan Drops Emotional Song In Memory Of Late One Direction Bandmate Liam Payne -
Dustin Hoffman Sets Clear Boundaries At 88: 'I Can't Look' -
Stephen Colbert Gushes Over His Wife Evelyn McGee Colbert -
Harry Styles' Fiancée Zoë Kravitz Feels 'excited' For One Reason Amid His Tour In Europe -
Google Challenges US Antitrust Ruling In Landmark Search Monopoly Case -
Trump Confirms He Will Not Attend Son Donald Trump Jr.'s Wedding With Bettina Anderson -
Jack Antonoff Has Awkward Response To Taylor Swift Wedding Question -
Gayle King Reveals Marriage ‘red Flag’ Involving Her Dog -
China's To Debut AI-focused 'Supply Chain Expo 2026' In June -
As Stephen Colbert Exits 'The Late Show' Podcasts Have The Last Laugh -
Trump Says Aaron Lukas Will Serve As Acting Director Of National Intelligence Following Tulsi Gabbard's Resignation -
Uber Considers Full Takeover Of Delivery Hero In Major Expansion Move: Report -
‘MobLand’ Future In Question As Tom Hardy Faces Firing Claims