China coal mine explosion leaves eight dead and dozens trapped
Emergency rescue operations continued into Saturday as crews searched for the trapped miners.
At least eight people have died and 38 others remain trapped after a gas explosion at a coal mine in northeast China’s Shanxi province.
According to a report by China’s state news agency Xinhua, the blast happened on Friday evening at the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi City while 247 workers were underground.
The agency said carbon monoxide levels at the mine had “exceeded limits” before the explosion.
Emergency rescue operations continued into Saturday as crews searched for the trapped miners.
State media reported that at least 201 workers had been evacuated safely by 6:00 AM local time.
The explosion took place at around 7:30 PM local time on Friday and authorities have launched an investigation into the cause of the incident.
Shanxi is one of China’s largest coal-producing regions and has long faced criticism over mining safety standards.
Officials have not yet released details about the condition of those still trapped underground.
-
Lauren Sánchez Bezos reveals how she felt 'embarrassed' in news anchoring career due to dyslexia
-
Trump holds Iran crisis talks with national security team amid ongoing negotiations
-
China's to debut AI-focused 'Supply Chain Expo 2026' in June
-
Trump says Aaron Lukas will serve as acting director of National Intelligence following Tulsi Gabbard's resignation
-
China to send two more pandas to US to strengthen US-China ties
-
Mayor Mamdani launches 'Twitch Show' to interact with New Yorkers
-
RIAT 2026: Middle East conflict forces air show cancellation
-
Nancy Guthrie case: Bone discovery sparks major online interference in her disappearance
