Climate Change Policy to be in Senate next week
Islamabad: Having been approved by the National Assembly, the Climate Change Policy will be introduced in the Senate next week, while the National Forest Policy has been approved by the Council of Common Interests.
This was stated by Federal Minister for Climate Change Zahid Hamid while addressing a news conference at his ministry in connection with the inauguration of the Green Pakistan Programme.
The minister said the Green Pakistan Programme had been launched simultaneously in all the provinces and federating units. He said there was only five percent forest cover in Pakistan, which was very little to combat adverse effects of climate change.
"The prime minister has taken personal interest to conserve wildlife and forest sector of Pakistan and initiated this programme. The programme is based on matching grant and all the provinces responded positively on the suggestion to give matching grant of 50 per cent.
"The Executive Committee of National Economic Council (ECNEC) has approved Rs3.7 billion for forestry and Rs1.3 billion for wildlife," he said. The minister said February 9 had been declared the National Green Day and more than 100 universities also inaugurated the campaign.
"The main essence of this programme is to grow indigenous trees in Pakistan. This program will be implemented through involving rural and urban population. In this regard, the Ministry of Climate Change is working very closely to civil society, international organisations and private sectors," he said. The minister said Pakistan was ranked seventh among the countries mostly affected by climate change. Inspector General Forest Syed Mehmood Nasir, who was also in attendance, said the Federal Forestry Board was being revived under the new forest policy. Earlier in the day, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif formally launched the Green Pakistan Programme by planting a tree in the Prime Minister's Office.
-
Harry ‘damages’ Prince William’s Sentiments: ‘He’s Irritated The Heir’ -
Quantum Stocks Surge Following US Plans To Award $2 Billion And Take Equity Stakes -
Minister Breaks Silence On Andrew’s Appointment To Trade Envoy He’s Gone To Jail For -
Good News For Kanye West Over The Fate Of His New Show This Summer -
Why Does The Trump Administration Want To Award $2 Billion To Quantum Computing Firms? -
Google, Meta, TikTok To Face Massive EU Fines Over Financial Scam Ads -
Europe Is 'dangerously' Reliant On Starlink And US AI, French CEO Warns -
NASA Set To Unveil Major Moon Base Strategy And Mission Update -
Why SpaceX Wants To ‘protect The Future Of Consciousness,’ Elon Musk Explains -
Google I/O 2026: Gemini Usage Limits Now Reset Every 5 Hours -
Sarah Ferguson Suffers Second Fall From Grace: ‘She Doesn’t Exist Anymore’ -
Hugh Jackman, Sutton Foster’s Life Planning Takes A Backseat As Deborra-lee Furness Continues To Stir The Pot -
Republicans Seek To Scrap Major Security Fund For White House And Trump’s Ballroom -
Damon Lindelof Lifts The Curtain Behind Real Reason He Was ‘fired’ From ‘Star Wars’ -
SpaceX’s Upgraded Starship V3 Ready For High-stakes Test Flight: Where To Watch Live -
Ivanka Trump Stands By Ex Sister-in-law Vanessa Following Breast Cancer Diagnosis