All mosques told to review safety measures
Karachi
In light of Friday's tragic incident in which six lives were lost as a mosque’s makeshift roof collapsed in North Nazimabad, Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) Administrator Laeeq Ahmed has notified all mosques in the city to review prayer arrangements in the enclosures and to remove sheds and loose wires which might harm worshippers in any way.
Issuing the notification on Saturday, Ahmed has also directed the administration to submit him a precautionary measures’ report within three days pertaining to all mosques under KMC.
At least six people lost their lives and many were left injured when a metal awning of a temporary sun shade fell on worshippers after Friday prayers at Masjid Usman Ghani in Block H of the North Nazimabad neighbourhood.
Speaking about the role of worshippers, Administrator KMC said that although city wardens have been deputed at various gatherings in the mosques, it wasn’t possible to place them everywhere; therefore, people have also been requested to take safety measures themselves.
“All unnecessary electrical circuits, loose wires, fans, sheds and tents, and iron boxes which may lead to danger must be removed, in case of strong winds and rainfall,” he said.
The citizens, it was announced, may also reach out to KMC via their number 1339. It was said that people, through the helpline, can inform the respective body in case of any casualty or emergency so immediate action can be taken.
The makeshift extension in the mosque was erected to relieve worshippers of sweltering heat during day-time prayers.
Earlier in December last year, around 22 people, mostly children were injured when the roof of an under-construction seminary collapsed in Shahnawaz Bhutto Colony.
-
Kevin Jonas Pays Tribute To Wife Danielle With 'Little Things' -
Canada To Import Chinese EVs Under New Import Rules Despite Concerns From Canadian Automakers -
John Travolta Stuns Everyone At The 2026 Cannes With Shocking New Look -
Pete Davidson And Elsie Hewitt Split: New Parents Struggle To Stay On Good Terms -
Major Character Confirmed Gone From 'The Boys' Finale -
Adrien Brody Lifts The Lid Of 'strange Sacrifice' For His Broadway Debut In 'The Fear Of 13' -
Carney’s Alberta 'carbon Agreement' Deal Unlocks New Oil Pipeline Plans Amid Global Crisis -
Prince Harry Branded 'househusband' As Meghan Markle Expands Business -
'Sheriff Country's Star Maren Morris Shares Her Scary 'motto In Life' -
Al Roker, Dylan Dreyer Claim To Be 'not Immune From Life' Amid Kidnapping Of Savannah Guthrie’s Mom -
King Charles Leaves Fans Stunned With 'Freaky Friday' Moment At King's Trust Celebration -
Starbucks Initiates Hundreds Of Layoffs As It Closes Some Regional US Offices -
Prince Harry, Andrew Not Invited To Wedding Of Princess Anne's Son -
King Charles' Sister Praised For Supporting Veterans During Aston Martin Event -
Meghan Markle Will Leave Harry And Children In US To Visit Switzerland -
UK Backs Human Rights Plan To Curb Illegal Migration