Prince Harry's UK security case: Evidence from court hearing unsealed
The Duke of Sussex makes shock claims in newly released files from his recent UK security hearing
Prince Harry’s legal battle with the UK Home Office has taken a revealing turn, with newly released court documents shedding light on the serious threats he’s faced since stepping back from royal duties.
The Duke of Sussex appeared in London last week to challenge a 2020 decision by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) that downgraded his security after he and Meghan Markle stepped down from royal duties.
A previously confidential summary of evidence — made public on Thursday, April 17 — shows Harry “requested certain protection” after allegedly receiving threats from extremist sources, who called for Harry “to be murdered” after Ravec’s decision, per DailyMail Online.
His legal team argued that the level of danger was significant enough to warrant ongoing state-backed security during visits to the UK.
Harry’s barrister, Shaheed Fatima KC, told the court that the Duke and his family face an “international threat” and endure “additional layers of racism and extremism” compared to other royals.
She said the decision to strip him of automatic protection “singled [him] out for different, unjustified, and inferior treatment.”
Currently, Harry receives a “bespoke” level of security requiring 30 days' notice before UK travel, with each visit assessed individually.
Harry “does not accept that ‘bespoke’ means ‘better,’” Fatima stated.
The Home Office, which oversees Ravec, has defended the 2020 decision, citing the Duke’s “unique set of circumstances” following his decision to step down from public duties.
A written ruling is expected after Easter.
-
Ryan Coogler brands 'When Harry Met Sally' his most favourite rom com while discussing love for verstality
-
Justin Bieber rocked the world with bold move 15 years ago
-
Sam Levinson wins hearts with huge donation to Eric Dane GoFundMe
-
Liza Minnelli alleges she was ordered to use wheelchair at 2022 Academy Awards
-
Michael B. Jordan shares his thoughts on growing trend of live-action anime adaptations
-
Hilary Duff finally addresses Ashley Tisdale's 'toxic mom group' essay
-
Taye Diggs encourages people for early cancer detection after losing both his parents
-
Mia Goth reacts to ex-partner Shia LaBeouf's Mardi Gras arrest