UK teenager jailed for life in Southport girls' murders
Rudakubana admitted killing three girls as well as attempted murder of eight children and two adults
LIVERPOOL: A UK judge on Thursday sentenced the killer of three children to life in prison after he went on a frenzied stabbing spree in Southport.
"I consider it likely he will never be released," Judge Julian Goose said, adding that Axel Rudakubana, 18, must serve a minimum of 52 years in detention for his "extreme violence".
"The harm Rudakubana has caused to each family, each child and to the community has been profound and permanent," the judge told Liverpool Crown Court in northwest England.
Rudakubana had admitted three charges of killing the three girls who died in the attack in Southport — Bebe King, aged six, Elsie Dot Stancombe, seven, and nine-year-old Alice da Silva Aguiar.
He also confessed to the attempted murder of eight other children and two adults, as well as possessing a knife when he burst into a Taylor Swift-themed dance class in July last year.
And he pleaded guilty to producing a biological toxin — ricin — and possessing an Al-Qaeda training manual.
The judge said the violent attack, which Rudakubana unleashed just nine days before his 18th birthday, took just 15 minutes.
"Had he been able to, he would have killed each and every child — all 26 of them," the judge said.
"He was prevented from murdering more only by the escape of other children," the judge added.
After some of the injured girls escaped, Rudakubana "returned to continue his sustained and brutal violence against two of the youngest of those children, stabbing them multiple times".
-
Quinton Aaron reveals why he does not want to speak to wife Margarita ever again
-
Why Mikaela Shiffrin celebrated Olympic Gold with Taylor Swift song?
-
Political tensions steal spotlight at Berlin Film Festival closing ceremony
-
Hong Kong touts stability,unique trade advantages as Trump’s global tariff sparks market volatility
-
Friedrich Merz heads to China for high stakes talks in an effort to reset strained trade relations
-
Nvidia CEO praises Elon Musk, calls him an ‘extraordinary engineer'
-
Conan O'Brien speaks first time after Rob Reiner's killing
-
Eric Dane drops raw confession for Rebecca Gayheart in final interview