Taliban closer to international recognition, says FM Amir Khan Muttaqi
KABUL: The Taliban are inching closer towards international recognition but any concessions Afghanistan´s new rulers make will be on their terms, the regime´s foreign minister said in an interview with AFP.
In his first interview since returning from talks with Western powers in Oslo, Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi also urged Washington to unlock Afghanistan´s assets to help ease a humanitarian crisis.
No country has formally recognised the government installed after the Taliban seized power in August as US-led forces withdrew following a 20-year occupation. But Muttaqi told AFP late Wednesday that Afghanistan´s new rulers are slowly gaining international acceptance. "On the process of getting recognition... we have come closer to that goal," he said. "That is our right, the right of the Afghans. We will continue our political struggle and efforts until we get our right."
The talks in Norway last month were the first involving the Taliban held on Western soil in decades. While Norway insisted the meeting was not intended to give the hardline Islamist group formal recognition, the Taliban have touted it as such.
Muttaqi said his government is actively engaged with the international community a clear indication, he insisted, of growing acceptance. "The international community wants to have interaction with us," he said. "We have had good achievements in that." Muttaqi said several countries are operating embassies in Kabul, with more expected to open soon. "We expect that the embassies of some of the European and Arab countries will open too," he said.
But Muttaqi said any concessions the Taliban made in areas such as human rights would be on their terms and not as a result of international pressure. "What we are doing in our country is not because we have to meet conditions, nor are we doing it under someone´s pressure," he said. "We are doing it as per our plan and policy."
-
Japan: PM Takaichi Flags China ‘Coercion,’ Pledges Defence Security Overhaul -
Angorie Rice Spills The Beans On Major Details From Season 2 Of ' The Last Thing He Told Me' -
Questions Raised Over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's Line Of Succession -
'Shameless' Sarah Ferguson 'pressuring' Princess Eugenie, Beatrice For Major Reason -
Teacher Arrested After Confessing To Cocaine Use During Classes -
Paul McCartney Talks 'very Emotional' Footage Of Late Wife Linda In New Doc -
Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie's Response To Andrew's Arrest Revealed -
King Charles And Princess Anne Bestow Honours At Windsor Castle -
King Charles 'worried' As Buckingham Palace, Royal Family Facing 'biggest Crisis' -
Milo Ventimiglia Recalls First Meeting With Arielle Kebbel On The Sets Of 'Gilmore Girls' Amid New Project -
Eric Dane Infuriated After ALS Diagnosis As He Feared The Disease Would Take Him Away From His Girls -
It's A Boy! Luke Combs, Wife Nicole Welcome Third Child -
Leading Astrophysicist Shot Dead At Southern California Home -
Johnny Depp's Kind Gesture Towards Late 'Grey's Anatomy' Actor Eric Dane Before Death Laid Bare -
How Princess Eugenie, Beatrice React To Andrew Arrest? -
Kylie Jenner 'convinced' Gwyneth Paltrow Is 'crushing' On Timothee Chalamet: 'It's Disrespectful'