Aisam says ‘no’ to playing singles for Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: International Aisamul Haq Saturday decided not to play singles for the country anywhere, saying that he had communicated his decision to the high-ups of the Pakistan Tennis Federation (PTF).
Talking to ‘The News’, Aisam said he had been playing singles in the Davis Cup for the last eight years for the sake of the country.
“My body cannot bear excessive physical demands for singles game. Moreover, it damages my doubles’ performance too. Though I left playing singles almost eight years back, I continue representing the country in the Davis Cup singles as no back-up player was available to support Aqeel. Now I don’t think my body can tolerate it anymore,” the 41-year old veteran who represented Pakistan in over 95 Davis Cup matches so far, said.
“It is sort of putting an extra burden on my shoulders that I cannot carry further at the age of 41 now. My body is in no position to bear extra pressure. Exerting extra on the singles means leaving little for the doubles. My focus is on the doubles. I still feel the stiffness of playing singles on Friday and that was the reason I could not play my normal game in the doubles on Saturday. Playing back-to-back singles and doubles would be like asking too much.”
Aisam, however, said he would be available for Davis Cup’s doubles. “Since I play doubles internationally and it is my forte, I would continue playing doubles in the Davis Cup if required by the country.”
Aisam urged the youngsters to step up and fill the gap. “It is now up to youngsters to fill the vacuum. We have been representing the country for over 22 years now. Even Aqeel has crossed 40. We have been playing since 1998. It is time for the youth to step up and replace us by showing fighting spirit. What they need is hard and tough training backed by good coaching.”
Aisam also called on the youngsters to work hard on their game and stay focused. “Casual and off and on approach takes you nowhere. It is all about staying focused, working hard and making the best use of your potential. Youngsters here hardly are seen working hard on their game and fitness.”
The ageing player asked the PTF to initiate players’ development programme and help the best talent rise to the level where they could challenge the best around.
“The PTF will have to work on war-like footings to groom quality players. The PTF should make the youngsters realise that the country requires their services at the highest level of the game.”
-
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Was Mentioned In Epstein Email Sent Before His Death -
'Dump Eugenie And Beatrice': Andrew's Daughters Face Backlash After His Arrest -
Hilary Duff Finally Addresses Ashley Tisdale's 'toxic Mom Group' Essay -
Ryan Coogler Explains Why His Latest Project 'Sinners' Is So Close To His Heart -
Meghan Markle, Prince Harry's Longtime Friend Shares True Feelings Of Royal Couple On Andrew Arrest -
Who Is Punch? Here’s Everything To Know About The Viral Sensation Winning Over Internet -
Andrew's 'mental Health' Concerns Comment Sparks Outrage On Social Media -
Taye Diggs Encourages People For Early Cancer Detection After Losing Both His Parents -
Mia Goth Reacts To Ex-partner Shia LaBeouf's Mardi Gras Arrest -
Andrew's Cash Crisis Exposed Amid '£1m' Legal Bills -
Huge Donations Made On Eric Dane GoFundMe -
Matty Healy Sets Summer Wedding Date Close To Ex Taylor Swift's Nuptials -
Jennifer Lawrence On Her Complicated Relationship With Fame While Battling Rejection: 'Annoying' -
Protest Held Outside Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Home -
NASA Targets March 6 For Launch Of Crewed Mission Around Moon Following Successful Rocket Fueling Test -
Conan O'Brien Addresses Rob Reiner's Tragic Death After Explosive Clash At Christmas Bash