SHC sets aside life term in cop killing case
The Sindh High Court (SHC) has set aside the life imprisonment of a man, who was convicted in a policeman killing case, due to lack of evidence. Irfan, alias Jabbal, was sentenced to life imprisonment by an anti-terrorism court which found him guilty of murdering a policeman in the Mehmoodabad area in 2014.
According to the prosecution, the appellant had fired at a police patrolling party when they intercepted him, which caused the death of a policeman, Javed Akhtar. A counsel for the appellant submitted that the prosecution had failed to prove its case against Irfan as there were contradictions in the statements of the eyewitnesses and the benefit of the doubt should be given to the appellant.
The appellant’s counsel requested the SHC to set aside his conviction. A state counsel supported the prosecution case and submitted that the prosecution had proved its case against the appellant beyond any reasonable doubt.
The SHC, after hearing the arguments of the counsel and perusal of the evidence, observed that the prosecution could not prove its case against the appellant successfully and set aside the trial court order. The court ordered to release the appellant if not required in any other cases.
Missing persons case
The SHC directed a federal law officer to a file statement with regard to whereabouts of missing persons as whether they were detained at any internment centres in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa or elsewhere.
The direction came on identical petitions against illegal detention of citizens who were allegedly picked up by the personnel of the law enforcement agencies (LEAs). Petitioners alleged that the detainees were picked up by the personnel of LEAs during raids at different parts of the city in the name of interrogation and their whereabouts were unknown for several years. The court also directed joint investigation teams and the provincial task force to submit their progress report on the next date of hearing.
On disappearance of Jalees Ahmed and Bakht Munir from the Korangi and Manghopir areas, the high court directed the federal and provincial law officers to file comments with regard to the whereabouts of them. The petitioners submitted that the police were not taking efforts for the recovery of Ahmed and Munir, an employee of the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation who had been missing since June 10, 2015.
-
Tucker Carlson Says Passport Seized, Staff Member Questioned At Israel Airport -
Taylor Swift Made Sure Jodie Turner-Smith's Little Girl Had A Special Day On 'Opalite' Music Video Set -
Eric Dane Says Touching Goodbye To Daughters Billie And Georgia In New Netflix Documentary -
Channing Tatum Reveals What He Told Daughter After Violent Incident At School -
King Charles Lands In The Line Of Fire Because Of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor -
Denise Richards Doubles Down On Abuse Claims Against Ex Husband Aaron Phypers Amid Show Return -
Russia Set To Block Overseas Crypto Exchanges In Sweeping Crackdown -
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Deep Personal Connection With Kate Hudson -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle’s Game Plan For Beatrice, Eugenie: ‘Extra Popcorn For This Disaster’ -
OpenAI To Rollout AI Powered Smart Speakers By 2027 -
Is Dakota Johnsons Dating Younger Pop Star After Breakup With Coldplay Frontman Chris Martin? -
Hilary Duff Tears Up Talking About Estranged Sister Haylie Duff -
US Supreme Court Strikes Down Trump’s Global Tariffs As 'unlawful' -
Kelly Clarkson Explains Decision To Quit 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' -
Inside Hilary Duff's Supportive Marriage With Husband Matthew Koma Amid New Album Release -
Daniel Radcliffe Admits To Being Self Conscious While Filming 'Harry Potter' In Late Teens